Smarter Savings: Time Summer Shopping Right

Posted by   + Show Post

If you're a frugally-minded mom, you're probably always watching the Sunday circulars and online deal sites, looking for bargains on things you want and need. When that happens, you'll swoop in with the precision of a hawk and score a great price on great stuff.

But what you might not know is that timing is crucial. For example, you might want to hold off on buying your new grill in, say, March. Why? Because they start going on sale shortly before Memorial Day and the sales keep on rolling right through Fourth of July. There are some great deals available now tied to Father's Day....but that dream grill you've been coveting doesn't have to be a gift for that special dad in your life, it can stay right on your own patio.

This is one of the only times of year you'll find great deals on tools, too. Do-it-yourselfers always have one or two tools they're hoping to add to their collection, which makes them great Father's Day gifts (or Mother's Day, in my case...I have actually purchased a miter box as a Mother's Day gift for my handywoman mom and no, I don't know exactly what it is). They're also outstanding and incredibly useful graduation and wedding gifts...they might not have registered for a basic set of tools, but they'll thank you the first time they don't have to attempt mounting a window blind using a butter knife on the screws.

Similarly, now is a great time to stock up on outdoor recreation equipment like canopies and tents. The camping season hasn't totally kicked off yet, but as your summer plans firm up as school draws to a close you might find yourself in a need of a tent or simply a screenhouse to enjoy your backyard without being bombarded by bugs.

What sales are you planning to take advantage of this month?

by on Jun. 3, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Leelee1008
by Alicia on Jun. 16, 2011 at 6:35 PM

right now, none. our budget requires only necessities like TP, Paper towels, Diapers, wipes Etc. I like to wait till the end of summer sales when they clearance the hell out of grills and stuff. we were given a grill last year thats in good shape, we just bought a party tent at rite-aid for $20 during the memorial day sale, other then that, I need a new cooler and im set.

mommythree0508
by Corinne on Jun. 16, 2011 at 10:19 PM

The only thing I'm doing now is starting to shop for birthdays and Christmas.

MommaSiete
by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Bump!

elijahsmama09
by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM
Nothign really....not a lot of extra cash.
LilMissCupcake
by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 2:10 PM

nothing that i know of

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2011 at 2:30 PM

None. I can't afford much so I got him a $15 gift.

Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2011 at 3:23 AM

fathers day sales!

alexis_06
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 3:29 AM

i dont know yet...i havent seen very many good deals yet this year...but i do look forward to getting summer clothes on clearance for my daughter for next year  :)

onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2011 at 6:35 AM

We don't have any major shopping planned this month.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

janitablue
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Summer clothing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: