Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Piano Lessons ?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM
  • 14 Replies

How young can your child be to start piano lessons ?

I want to get DS into Piano lessons as soon as he is able. I think it provides a lot of structure...not to mention its valuable if he chooses to persue music.

Maybe one day he could even teach me how to play :)

Should I buy a piano if I enroll him into Piano lessons? I am thinking that the youngest age is 5, but I am not sure.

Also for those of you that get piano lessons for your LO's ...how expensive is it ?

~ Michelle

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
daerca574
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:41 PM

My daughter has taken piano lessons for almost 8 years now.  It is a very valuable talent for her.  She started at age 7 because her piano teacher advised that is the perfect age to start because they have a better attention span and need to learn good study habits.  I currently pay $50/month for 1 45 minute lesson/week.  Her teacher is involved with the music teachers association and with national guild. We are in the middle of Kansas too.

MommaSiete
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:02 PM

I think the age is 5, I could be wrong though.

Madelaine
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:35 PM

I think kids usually start at 7 or 8

dodie_s
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Why not look a few up and narrow it down , Then ask the teacher what you have ask us ? I took piano for two years I think I was 8 . I know how to read music because of it . I think it is a very good thing to do for your child. 

krise
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Aloria was 10 when she started, she's 11 this year to turn 12. I've been told once you learn piano you can catch on to any instrument better/faster.

DomsMama07
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:10 AM
Not sure! Here's a bump for you :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathermichelle
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 2:21 AM

I am not really sure

elijahsmama09
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I think age 8 is the average age. Price varies a lot by location.

starbeck96
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Around here they need to be in school.  Some won't let them take until first grade (since they learn to read some in kindergarten).

Piano around here is about 40.00 a month. That is for a weekly lesson of 30 minutes per lesson.  I agree that piano lessons or really any kind of lessons helps kids.  My husband teaches guitar and he has found that although with the younger ones it can be a little harder to keep their attention, they tend to learn a little faster.  He has taught one as young as 6 before and he said that he probably wouldn't take one any younger than that because they get distracted too easily.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 2:05 PM

They also teach piano at Ela's ballet school, but will not take tehm til they are 8. I know some place must take them younger.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)