Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Grab a (Big) Bag

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 54 Replies

My husband does pretty well living in a household that's half female, especially for a guy who grew up with four brothers and no sisters. But one thing continues to baffle and annoy him, even after 13 years together: THE PURSE.

Specifically, my need to frequently switch up purses based on the season, outfit, or event, and my constant desire for whatever cute one catches my eye. I've pared down considerably and have been carrying the same red leather number since deciding to retire the diaper bag. However, it's summer, and summer means I need a big bag.

Luckily, big tote bags are everywhere and tend toward the inexpensive and cute. Lands' End has a ton of totes in a variety of colors and patterns. I'm not talking a single-purpose beach bag here, either. We need something that will hold water bottles, snacks, sunscreen, diapers, wipes, insect repellent and perhaps even swimsuits or sweatshirts for ourselves and our kids. If it's easy to clean, light but strong, and stylish, so much the better.

The Big Bag can also serve as a carrier for library books, an easier way to heft around farmer's market bounty, or an alternative to paper or plastic at the supermarket.

All that stuff is on top of the normal "mom's bag of tricks" supplies we carry all the time. Once, I was interviewing a chef at a fancy restaurant. He was getting his photo taken and suddenly started laughing. "Play dough? Really?" he asked me. I wanted to drop through the floor...I usually do a good job of "de-momifying" my bag when I am headed off somewhere professional, but I'd forgotten the little canister of play dough that I pull out when we're at a restaurant and there's a wait, which was visible in my open-topped purse.

And as much as our husbands might mock us for the size of our bag or our neverending quest to find the perfect one, they're singing a different tune when, say, they get a blister walking around the county fair and ta-daaaa! We produce bandages and antibiotic ointment, as well as a couple of small toys to distract the kids while he gets fixed up. It's part of those mom skills we develop without even realizing it.

What do you have to have in your bag?

by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM

My purse is small. I don't like really big bags.

jerzeetomato
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I love big bags!  And Aeropostale has marked down all their cute canvas totes to practically nothing!!  I will be going this weekend :)

2and2onway
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I like big bags, but carry a small purse lol I carry just my wallet and a few items. The bigger my bag the more junk ends up in it.

heathermichelle
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I don't like big bags.

BabybluesBoffin
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I love big bags but it appears all I have in mine is junk....seems that I just put things in it and never really pay attention.

sweettigeress
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I have a small purse .

Jillysmom
by Adele on Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:16 PM

right now I only carry a small clutch bag,

maisonsmom
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:33 PM

My purse is sort of medium sized and it is jammed packed. It is so heavy, I can't imagine carrying a bigger bag.

alliesmom112
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 2:02 PM
I love big bags. When we were at mils wedding in April all of sils (who are all younger under the age of 20) were amazed that aything the needed could be found in my purse from saftey pins to bandaids to lipstick to hairspray to toys for dd and everything in between. All weekend when someone needed something they always said check Sandy's purse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy7243
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I LOVE my big bags!!! I like having everything but the kitchen sink in mine!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)