Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Saving School Memories

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies

I'm a sentimentalist and a pack rat. My son's first scribbles on a piece of paper with a marker? Saved. My daughter's first barely-decipherable scrawl of her name? Saved. Pretty much every card my husband has ever sent me in almost 14 years together? Saved.

However, now I have a school age kid. And holy deforestation, the amount of paper that comes home with her over the course of a school year probably weighs more than she does. Awards for this, a worksheet on that, "books" she colored and stapled. I have had to become seriously hard-hearted about what to save and where to put it.

As the school year draws to a close, most of us are dealing with that avalanche of paper. Scrapbookers probably have cute ways to memorialize their child's work over the year; I'm not, but I still like the idea of having her kindergarten and first grade accomplishments for her when she's an adult.

My method for what to save is as follows: Keep whatever represents creative work or original thinking, which means worksheets and art projects where everyone is expected to do the same things in the same way go straight into recycling. Those gems I have saved go in one of those expandable files (you can find pretty snazzy ones). If I'm feeling especially on top of things, I'll give each month its own pocket. More often than not, I'm just shoving things in there willy-nilly.

I'm finding that the older my kids get, the more I treasure these little artifacts. What do you keep of your kid's school stuff and what do you pitch...and what do you DO with it all?

by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I kept examples of everything, or pieces that had a really good grade. I agree about the value of saving the things, in later years they are so fun to go through.

maisonsmom
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I keep some of her papers. She just finished kindergarten and there were tons of papers sent home every week. I try to pick out my favorites and I have them saved in a sterlite tote under my bed. I have taken some pictures of her projects that we just can't keep.

amy7243
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 10:23 AM
Eash kid has their own box that I keep special items in. I just keep items I think they will enjoy seeing in the future.
MoonNStars
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I keep very little actually.  They each have an art binder that certain items go in.  Most of my beloved things get photographed and go into my photobucket.  Others actually get framed and used in my home. 

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Jun. 16, 2011 at 10:52 AM

I am going to try scrapbooking, but who has the time...LOL

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Jun. 16, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I keep all the actual projects and all of her milestones like the first time she wrote her name, drew a face, etc. She is only three and I already have a ridiculous collection lol!

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I didn't really save much of my kids stuff, and wish I had more. However, my mil had 8, and I don't think she ever threw anything away. Cleaning out her house when she went into a nursing home was a nightmare.

Leelee1008
by Alicia on Jun. 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I keep their art work, getting into older grades it starts to dwindle down. I toss work sheets and papers

janitablue
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Wow it is comforting to know that i am not only one. I am trying to cut back because we live in apartment. I can not imagine packing all that stuff.

JHanc968
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM

We keep examples of everything....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN