Group Home

Smarter Mom: Road Trip Survival

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies

I'll admit it: I kind of like road trips with my kids. It's fun to see what they notice as we drive through unfamiliar territory, and the few hours in the car allow us to focus on each other in a way we can't during the usual hustle and bustle of our lives.

That said: If they don't eventually fall asleep on at least one leg of the trip, or if anything happens to make the trip longer, like traffic or car trouble, forget it. For the most part, we're pretty lucky that a) our kids don't mind being in the car and b) we're only a few hours' drive away from all of our families, so long drives aren't a common occurrence.

I'm a pretty big believer in the power of boredom, and don't go in for DVD players or game systems in the car. However, I'm no Luddite; I love technology and enjoy all the great ways to keep kids amused anytime there are long tedious stretches before all of you, like waiting at the doctor or at a restaurant...or enduring the 40th repetition of "how soon will we beeee therrrrree???" from the peanut gallery in the backseat, and you haven't even been gone 30 minutes.

Common Sense Media has a list of the best road-trip apps here, broken down by age. Of course, both my kids like Angry Birds; the six year old plays and the three year old giggles (he calls them "Funny Birds").  And there's a Talking Robot one my robot-obsessed little boy loves. Also, Toy Story 3 lives on my iPod Touch, just in case.

There's also the games we all played in the pre-DVD player area, like the alphabet game (find a word starting with each letter of the alphabet, in order...you can make it easier by just specifying the letter anywhere in any word, otherwise you get stuck for a looonng time on X); I Spy, 20 Questions, or the License Plate Game (see how many plates you can find from different states; summer travel is great for this) or travel bingo (there are commercially-made games for this, or make your own using things you're likely to encounter on your route).

And if all else fails? Snacks. I am normally quite stingy with the processed food and juice; on a road trip, it's free for all.

What are your best road trip survival tips?

by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fraujones
by Amanda on Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:17 PM

DD and I like to sing goofy songs. (Sometimes we drive DH nuts). DD also brings her pink sticker decorated Nintendo DS. She loves the games and they make long trips go by faster for her. I pack crayons and a coloring book as well. 

MommaSiete
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Snacks! Lots of them!

MommaSiete
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Music to keep everyone happy!

MommaSiete

Car games and ideas to play!

MommaSiete

Books!

our3

I let the kids each bring a bag of toys/books/ ect with them If we are on an extendid road trip. My oldest DD can sit for hours and read. My DS brings his rescue heros, a snack, and pillow. My youngest usually brings her babies and passes out after so long.  Oh and my oldest DD likes to take LOTS if pics.

MommaSiete
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Word search and cross word games.

MommaSiete

Cellphones and laptops!

MommaSiete

Lots and lots of water and other drinks.

MommaSiete
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:23 PM

We have to take alot of pit stops, so you should always work in time taken at gas stations and rest stops!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. letstalk747
  2. lizzig
  3. Jukebox_Jenny
  4. powow65
  5. alf2651
  6. Angela4boys