Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to have a happy marriage! What do yuo think of this?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:07 AM
  • 11 Replies

Happily ever after?

Causes of an unhappy marriage and how to cure them.

#1 Money

Bad spending habits, undisclosed financial information , loss of a job, etc….

The best method to dealing with money issues is to try to prevent them. Prior to getting married finances should be discussed. Here is a list of topics that need to be settled before the big day.

Personal debt. Each of you should have a list of exact amounts owed and who they are owed to.

Where you want to be in 5 or 10 years when it comes to your careers.

An allowance. Yes I said allowance. There should be an agreed upon amount of fun money that each of you can spend on themselves.

How the bills will be divided up. How much will go into the joint account that pays the bills.

Even if you have this conversation sometimes things happen out of your control. When a spouse loses a job it can cause great stress. No matter what happens as a result of this do not treat your partner as the cause of this issue. Try to work together to trim the budget, find new work, and keep a positive attitude. Remember, for richer or poorer.

#2 Growing apart

It does happen. I have seen myself. The best way to prevent this is to grow together instead. Here are a few ideas that I have found works for me. And my husband.

*exercise together

* read the same book

*get into a television series you both can enjoy watching together

*learn something new together (Google what you local parks and community colleges offer)

#3 Children

Having children is a huge change. Make sure you are ready and have discussed the following topics.

How to you wish to discipline them?

How many do you want?

Will one parent want to stay home with them?

The most important thing to keep your marriage happy after you have kids is to make sure you have a date night a least once a month. Children take up a lot of time and attention. It can quickly become all about them , all the time! This leaves no time for parents to keep that bond with each other. Date nights allow for the spark to be relit and it is a huge stress reliever to get away from the chaos that comes form having offspring.

#4 Lack of communication

Psychics do not exist! At least it has not been scientifically proven to my knowledge. Do not expect your other half to read your mind. If you are upset about something, want something, etc…say whatever it is. This can apply to any type of relationship in life.

Last but not least, find out your stances on issues that have the possibility of impacting your marital life.

Politics, religion, and whether or not you think Lindsay should have served real time. Nothing should be off limits!

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elasmimi
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Be friends before you are lovers.

rocamom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:19 AM

I would NEVER let my hubby give me an ALLOWENCE nor would I do that for him..  We watch our pennies but we also know what we want to do with our savings..

Lack of communication is a BIG deal because I REALLY believe that's the key to my relationship with my hubby.. If we didn't talk about as much as we do I know we would be in trouble.. We get along REALLY great and I think it's because we talk about EVERTHING...

I had a feeling that I wanted one more kid but my hubby felt that he is done.. We then agreed that we would get a cat.. I not feel complete.. If I were to get pregnant it would be welcomed but we don't want that at this time and are doing our best to avoid that :)

koolkidsmom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Lots of good ideas. Thanks.

Luvmybooskies
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I agree with this. 

heathermichelle
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:28 PM

I agree with some of those.

styler7
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:32 PM

communication is huge..

lil_mama06
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:37 PM

For the most part we do the above...We date once a week,talk,and HE takes charge of the finances..I'm a spender..And he gives me money to pay the bills... 

mamivon2
by Sandra on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:43 PM

I agree with most of it.

MsDean
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Thanks for the input ladies! I just started a blog for the first time and wanted feedback on my second post.

powow65
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:43 PM

cool! tyvm! (but we're not married. but we have been together for 8 going on 9years!) lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)