The price of fresh vegetables is criminal. (PIOG)

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 9:39 AM
  • 19 Replies

Taken from the Baltimore Sun

July 8, 2011

The price of fresh vegetables is criminal. Literally

The price of fresh vegetables has reached a new high in Michigan.

Julie Bass, of Oak Park, is facing up to 93 days in jail for -- yes -- planting a vegetable garden in her front yard.

Bass planted the raised vegetable beds in her front yard, ostensibly because the price of organic food his so high. But the city booked Bass under a regulation that says a front yard has to have "suitable, live plant material."

The city gave her a ticket, and when she didn't tear up her garden they charged her with a misdemeanor.

Bass explained to a local news station: "We thought it'd be really cool to do it so the neighbors could see. The kids love it. The kids from the neighborhood all come and help."

Said Bass: "They say, ‘Why should you grow things in the front?’ Well, why shouldn’t I? They’re fine. They’re pretty. They’re well maintained,” said Bass.

Check out my Blog Here

by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I think that's ridiculous!

Lanie_momofone
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM

wow...i feel sorry for her! Like she said, the neighborhood children enjoyed helping with the garden.

Sometimes i think the government and city laws try to control TOO much

our3
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I dont see the big deal, he garden looks great. Its very clean. I hope she fights this and wins.

MsDean
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

That is crazy! I really hope the media attention helps get rid of a stupid law.

ginger813
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 2:02 PM

wow, that's crazy!

ilovemyboys84
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2011 at 2:05 PM

thats nuts

MommaSiete
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Wow ridiculous!

Lisa0626
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Crazy, I don't think there is anything wrong with growing her veggies in her front yard. This is just another way for the little people to get ripped off! They want to force us to buy from the big chain stores, instead of being able to provide for ourselves. Very sad, she has to go through that.

heathermichelle
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Oh wow.

eustacejessica
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2011 at 8:44 AM

thats ridiculous!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: