Group Home

Smarter Mom: Make Back-to-School Shopping Fun

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 45 Replies

It's bittersweet: The end of summer, the beginning of the school year. How are you going to get them off the beach, out of the pool, away from their friends to go shopping of all things. Here's a few tips  from fellow moms that make back-to-school shopping more manageable--and even enjoyable.

Plan far in advance, not a few days a few weeks, and let your kids know that a week from Friday that day's activity is back to school shopping day. Put it on the kitchen calendar so all can see.

Don't just jump in the car and hit your favorite back to school shopping store, spend some time mapping it out. Having a plan instead of browsing a store aimlessly will help keep things on track--and meltdowns at bay.

Have the kids join in the planning process. Sit down one night and create a list together. Give each kid mad-money, $5 each, they can spend in the store on extra school supplies.

Promise an activity for either that afternoon or the next day that they can do as a reward for being good during back to school shopping.

Get it all done. This is where the planning comes in: It's not fun going back-to-school shopping, don't make it worse by dragging it out over several days.

What's your attack plan for back-to-school shopping?

by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2011 at 1:06 PM

We get the supply list, go to K Mart, and make it a one stop shopping experience. Uniforms have to be bought at a specialty store, so that's no problem.

RobinChristine
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I know my son's sizes and likes. He  was with his youth group leader 2 weeks ago,I went and started a lay a way with his clothes. The following week I took him shopping and let him pick out his backpack,going to wait a few more weeks on shoes,he can wear sandals to school. My son is also special needs. I have not got a school supply list,last year nothing was needed.

Miss-B
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I've already did all our shopping. :)

critter_boo
by Sarah on Aug. 3, 2011 at 1:16 PM

i did all our supply shopping just not clothes

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Aug. 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM

We already did our school shopping. We did not need supplies since they are just in preschool. Clothes shopping was fun though.

bether89
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2011 at 2:05 PM

We have have already bought  the school supplies except for a couple of things.

amy7243
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 2:54 PM
I watch for the sales and do a little at a time. Today we got my middle sons book bag and lunch box :)
our3
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Thats seems a bit extreme.

We just get in the car and go. We only have 2 options to choose from as far as shopping for school supplies and clothes. Basically it comes down to wether I want to drive 20 minutes or 30 minutes to the store.  There is no way I'm going to be afraid of my kids  and map and plan everything to avoid a melt down. They know better! I also dont bribe my kids with money just so I can shop.

sweetsurprise13
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 3:14 PM

thanks for the neat ideas!

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Aug. 3, 2011 at 3:14 PM

I can't wait to school shop. Thankfully my daughter attends a very good school that provides all the suppiles, so I just have to get a backpack and whatever clothing I want to buy her. We are going to make a day of it and go shopping wih a friend and then out for lunch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690
  7. alf2651
  8. Wish2Be
  9. nngmommy83
  10. momofsixangels
  11. momofnatalie
  12. lyrick24
  13. melliburger
  14. exhaustedmother
  15. wandep
  16. brownhoney21
  17. louannwilkins
  18. lilmama31709
  19. lizzig
  20. Tigress22304
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

Which back to school item(s) do you buy new every year?

Only CafeMom members can vote on polls.
Click here to login or register.