Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lunchbox Lunches that Get an "A"

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 56 Replies

It's only normal around this time of year, to get anxious for the upcoming school year. You probably have already gone shopping for some new back-to-school clothes, and picked out a new lunchbox and backpack. But the idea of making lunches, healthy lunches, every day for the next 9 months is daunting. Two close friends of mine were discussing this just the other day. My one friend, Terri, with a "Type A" personality is prepared for the challenge and has some good advice. We've come a long way since PB&J--daily.

Sneak in the veggies. Her trick, she says, is to slice super thin and add to everything. One of her daughter's favorites is a bagel with cream cheese and finely diced-and-sliced red and yellow peppers.  She'll also add thin slices of pear or apple to turkey sandwiches.

Get a second opinion. Have your child help with the lunchbox planning. Even take her to the food store and have her choose what she would like to eat for lunch, and see what happens. Terri had to make some compromises with her daughter, ice cream doesn't travel well in a lunchbox, but the overall result was very good.

Everyone helps. Assign lunchbox jobs to your kids. Even if it's putting crackers or chips in a small baggie, a lot of the prep work can be done on Sunday, and the kids can help.

How do you deal with the lunchbox daily?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heathermichelle
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:21 AM

My kids eat at school so I don't have to worry about it.

amy7243
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:45 AM
I let them pick out what they want :) they know what I will agree too...they love fruits and veggies.
our3
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM

My kids will be eating hot lunches, and the school receives a grant to provide a snack of veggies in the afternoon. When they kids do take lunch, like during field trips. They like salad roll up with ranch dressng. My kids also like apples, corrot sticks with hummus, celery with peanut butter, grapes, cherries, ect. I just use ziplock baggies and make the stuff in the morning. Its not that big of an ordeal.

iam4you2
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I let them pick out what they want. They also eat hot lunches normally

kaidansmylife
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:54 AM

We only pack a lunch if i know he is gonna refuse what they are serveing at school. I let him pick out what goes in his lunch box tho. Its easier that way. 

andreamarie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Dh and the kids want them to eat at school. sad thing is one of the parenting tasks I was looking forward to was preparing thier lunches.

critter_boo
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM

we pack

charlene_kyle
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:00 AM

My kids are in preschool so no need for lunchboxes yet.

Lisa0626
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:29 AM

These are good tips, thanks. I will have to pack my dd's lunch and since this is her first year; I am anticipating what I should pack to make it healthier and enough to hold her through the day. I like the idea of allowing her to help me choose. I will try that for sure.

Madelaine
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Good ideas but my kids eat school lunch

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)