Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Helping your toddler play on their own!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:54 PM
  • 4 Replies

Trying to teach a 16 month old to play by himself is like trying to teach...I don't even know!

Until now... are you ready for a brilliant tip?? (shout out to the mom-in-law and other teachers on my husband's side of the family!)

It's called : Suggested Play

It consists of creating different "stations" throughout the rooms that you would like your toddler to play in.

Examples?

problems
music
rings
animal corner
car corner
reading corner

Basically your toddler will just move from station to station on his/her own! And the best part is that you don't have to keep buying new toys. You can just switch up the stations every day or two.
It's working for me. Let me know how it goes for you!!

simplychicmom.blogspot.com

Simply Chic Mom (Lauren Turner :)

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
AirborneWifee
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:21 PM

My boy wouldn't care for that, neat idea though! We see a lady twice a month to help suggest ways for my lil guy to learn new things. He's slower then lots of kids his age and I have to help him want to learn. We do imaginative play and have a huge area where he can play with his "little people" village, where he can build it together, play with the lil people and make sounds and have fun. We also have reading time where I read him a book and ask him to go through the pages and help him make the sounds to the pics. He has his trucks and loves to play with them anytime. We also have lots of dragons, dinosaurs and he has a few where he puts them into the suggested areas (blocks squares hearts and whatnot). Playing house is good for them too, where they can imitate their everyday behavior like sleeping *snores* where he can make sounds and lay the toy down. Go up and down stairs so he can learn what action words are...He won't do stations but I do help him play with different types of toys, different ways. I"m sure your information will help a lot of people! I also have a suggestion, to switch out toys every week so they have a "new" toy to play with. You can see how they grow because each time they play with the toy they might be doing something different then last time.

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:00 AM

We have a huge play area for DS in the Livingroom ! Each bin or side has something else in it. He spends a lot of time tinkering with stuff over there :)

critter_boo
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:17 AM

nice work

mommythree0508
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM

good idea

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)