Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ant or Aunt ?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:19 AM
  • 111 Replies

How do you say it ?

For some reason I cant stand "ANT" ...its irritating. So when MIL ( who watches DS all day while we work ) says to me yesterday..."he is going to say your sisters name real soon. " My sister goes by Jojo and DS has a Jojo bunny bumper car that speaks and says "jojo" all the time. I just smiled. Then she follows that up with "now all we have to do is get him to say ANT!" I shot that down really quick. I said "ANTs are outside. Jojo is an AUNT."

Needless to say MIL got pissed off and slammed her bedroom door shut in my face. LOL !

Does it bother anyone else this much ?

~Michelle

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Octobersmom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:22 AM

An ant is an insect.  An aunt is a human relative.  I does irk me but I'm from New England so no one here really gets it wrong unless they're tourists.

amyjane22
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:23 AM

I say "ant".  It's very strange around where I live to say "aunt".

JenMarie2007
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Quoting amyjane22:

I say "ant".  It's very strange around where I live to say "aunt".

Octobersmom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:26 AM

It's kind of funny.  Depending on where you're from you may think that anyone who says 'Ant Sally' sounds uneducated or you might think someone who says 'Aunt Sally' sounds pretentious even though it's really just the local dialect and accent that's affecting it.

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Quoting Octobersmom:

It's kind of funny.  Depending on where you're from you may think that anyone who says 'Ant Sally' sounds uneducated or you might think someone who says 'Aunt Sally' sounds pretentious.

Well its pronounced AUNT. The "U" in it is not silent. How can that be pretentious ?!

CafeMom Tickers
Octobersmom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting Octobersmom:

It's kind of funny.  Depending on where you're from you may think that anyone who says 'Ant Sally' sounds uneducated or you might think someone who says 'Aunt Sally' sounds pretentious.

Well its pronounced AUNT. The "U" in it is not silent. How can that be pretentious ?!

I agree.  I say aunt.  I have read on here, though, people going off about people who pronounce it properly or use words that I use on a regular bases such as 'as well' in place of 'too', hence, and even 'however' verses 'but'.  Apparently proper and more traditional English use makes you sound like a snob to some people.  If anyone met my family thay'd know how far from the truth that is.  I come from a long line of northern rednecks (yes we do have rednecks up here), I just happen to love words and thus I use them.  (Okay, I did do that one on purpose lol)

Luvmybooskies
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:33 AM

I HATE it when people say, "Ant." That's an insect!!!!!!!!!!

Luvmybooskies
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Hey, I am from CT, where are you?

Quoting Octobersmom:

An ant is an insect.  An aunt is a human relative.  I does irk me but I'm from New England so no one here really gets it wrong unless they're tourists.

Octobersmom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:36 AM

I actually saw a similar thread recently.  A woman was yelled at by a teacher, in front of other parents, because she pronounced 'the' as 'thee' rather than 'thuh'.  The teacher informed her that 'thee' is not a word, it's always 'thuh'.  That is 100% incorrect and I gave the woman a dictionary source to back her up.  It's like 'a' and 'an'.  Each should be used at specific times not always one or the other.

Octobersmom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I grew up, mostly, in MA but I've been in CT for 19 years :)

Wow, that makes me sound old LOL

Quoting Luvmybooskies:

Hey, I am from CT, where are you?

Quoting Octobersmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)