Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: Setting a Great Table

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:00 AM
  • 50 Replies

Thanksgiving will be here before you know it, and if you're hosting the big turkey day dinner this year, you have a lot on your plate! (Pun very much intended) Here's some tips and tricks I've gotten from friends, family, and of course, watching mom do it for so many years.

Tip #1: It's fun to use the fancy dishes every now and then, and Thanksgiving is a perfect excuse to do so. Don't have fancy dishes, but your everyday dishes are full of chips and scratches? Buy an inexpensive set of all white dishes, like this 32-piece set is just $29.99. You can still use any colored serving pieces you have easily, and white matches your table decorate the table anyway you want.

Tip #2: Add festive fall touches, but don't go overboard. A few scattered leaves, a few baby pumpkins, maybe a centerpiece. Keep it simple and not overcrowded.

Tip #3: A runner is a wonderful addition to any dining table. It lets you change up the tablecloth, without buying a new tablecloth. It can serve double duty, too. Lay it on a side table to transform the table into a dessert, coffee, or drink station.

Tip #4: Seating a table of family, friends, and friends of family's friends can be tricky. Do a seating arrangement and place cards, it eases a lot of tension and makes it much easier on all guests involved.

Tip #5: Set the table the night before. This is my mom's favorite trick, and it works great. It's nice to wake up Thanksgiving day morning, and the table is all set beautifully just waiting to be filled with guests.

What are some of your Thanksgiving day tips and tricks?

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyprice09
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:19 AM

thanks I will be using this!

nomadbrat83
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:28 AM
I'm a big fan of centerpieces and runners lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy7243
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:17 AM
I love centerpieces! Never thought of setting the table the night before.
mamivon2
by Sandra on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:18 AM

Dont let the mil cook the food 5h before then heat it up it microwave

ceciliam
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Great tips!

I'm a big fan of basic white serve-ware and tableware. It will always be elegant and you can dress it up or down.

mommyprice09
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Quoting amy7243:

I love centerpieces! Never thought of setting the table the night before.

http://raysofsunshineanp.blogspot.com/
artsygirl2010
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:43 AM

i always set out my turkey the night before, so that it can fully thaw out. (before i go to bed i put it in the fridge)

i get up early and have main side dishes prepared...so i just have to warm them up later.

aneela
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM

we dont have a huge gathering...so a simple layout will work for the holidays

aidensmomma508
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I like to have my son help make the place cards

lasombrs
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:45 AM

we tend to keep our table simple to avoid anything breaking (small children) and bad stains (lots of spillers in our family! lol) So we do a table runner, themed napkins and napkin rings, and themed plates but not much actual decoration on the table. Takes away from the room for the food!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)