Smarter Mom: Stash Those Gifts!

Posted by   + Show Post

Unless you are the most thrill-seeking Christmas Eve shopper ever, you probably have at least a few gifts bought ahead of the holiday. And that means finding a place to hide them from prying eyes.

I was going to say "prying little eyes" but the worst peeker in my family is the one writing this post! My husband works around this by waiting until late in the season, when I am so frenzied with last minute preparations that I couldn't possibly find time for a reconnaissance mission. Most of my kids' gifts come from Santa, so I need to be creative about hiding them to avoid questions like "Why is there a scooter in the back of the car, Mom?"

Right now, our basement is messy, disorganized, and not a place the kids are allowed to roam free, so I have good luck hiding things there among the clutter. Suitcases, in particular, are a good hiding spot for small things. High kitchen cabinets that are rarely used also work well.

Of course, you have to remember where you put everything or risk what my mom and grandmother always did; they would invariably find a gift they'd stashed and forgot about in, say, March.

Where do you like to hide your gifts? Have you ever forgotten about one?

by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
dusky_rose
by Sue on Dec. 1, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I hide mine in the back of our walkin closet, but my youngest son is starting to get sneaky and look back in there, so I may have to find another hiding spot.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2011 at 3:24 PM

We put everything in our closet since the kids are not allowed in our room unless they need to use the bathroom or we say it is okay. Plus the gifts are hidden under extra blankets and stuff

melissaoliver79
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 5:53 PM

i hide the gifts in my bed room closet.. I never did forget any gifts...

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2011 at 6:03 PM

i've never forgotten about one but my mom does, all the time!!  even when she was younger! ;o)

living in an apartment we don't have much storage space.  generally i'll put them in the x-mas decoration boxes after we've put up the decorations.  i have two big rubbermaid tubs we store our decorations in.  if it's anything too big for the tubs i'll ask our roommate if i can stash them in her closet.

wandep
by Pam on Dec. 1, 2011 at 6:50 PM

My closet, and no I haven't forgotten one! :)

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2011 at 6:53 PM

We have a storage room in our house that I can lock, it works perfectly. The kids are afraid to go in there anyway so even if I weren't to lock it, I know they aren't going to be snooping around in that room.

KittyTussand
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 6:59 PM

i am like you and the worlds worst peeker.  DH started hiding htem at other familys houses until last minute! SO MEAN!! anywho usually in find little nooks and cranies to hind things. but this year! ha since were moving i have huge piles of boxs in my daughers room and i took a expty box filled it and wrote kitchen fragil on it and they have no idea!

kerry20
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 7:02 PM
In boxes in the closet usually, and I have def forgot gifts before hahah
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
besosfantasies
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 7:28 PM
We haven't forgotten one yet, but we hide them in the top closet of daddys. Ds isn't slowed in our clothes closet:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by Shawna on Dec. 1, 2011 at 7:43 PM

When I want to hide something I put it in a tote and stack it up in the garage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: