Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This time of year always stinks for us.

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:09 PM
  • 13 Replies
My husband's hours always go down the tube this time of year. Every year, we have to sell stuff to help make the payments and buy food, diapers, etc. We never have enough to buy Christmas presents for our family. It's a good thing our daughter will only be one on her birthday on Dec. 10th this year, because she doesn't know much about gifts. We always catch up when we get our taxes, though, but it's very depressing for a while. I really wish there was something I could do that doesn't require any money up front, or a babysitter. I don't have a computer, just a phone. Ok. End of rant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamivon2
by Sandra on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:19 PM

can you sign up for Christmas cheer.. What I would recommend starting January whenever your dh gets paid.. put 1$ or maybe 2$ in an envelope and dont touch it till next year so you have some (even if its not much) money for presents in december...

piercedbeauty21
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:26 PM

That's a good idea. Can you save some from taxes? That's what we plan on doing next year.

Quoting mamivon2:

can you sign up for Christmas cheer.. What I would recommend starting January whenever your dh gets paid.. put 1$ or maybe 2$ in an envelope and dont touch it till next year so you have some (even if its not much) money for presents in december...

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM

i know some banks still do "christmas accounts", perhaps you can check into that for next year.  as for doing things to bring in extra income; do you have any talents/skills you could put to use for you?  i do pet sitting on the side.  i have a couple regular clients & i make a decent amount of extra $.  plus the kids come with me much of the time so i don't have to pay someone to watch them.  i was just going to make a sign to put up in our complex to get a few more clients for the winter break.  i made $180 watching pets for 3 clients over the thanksgiving holiday.

styler7
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:49 PM
I save money during the year by always going over by $5-20 each time I use my debit card at stores.
You should sign up for Salvation Army's Toys For Tots
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kainalu55
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:28 PM

i'm sorry to hear this!  try swagbucks, use the search engine, you get points that you can redeem for gift cards!  I get at least $5.00 a month in Amazon gift cards, sometimes $10.  I just save it all up for Christmas shopping!  (i'm not sure if it'll work on your phone though)

i also do mypoints.  I just read e-mails, 5 points per e-mail.  I was able to redeem my points for a $50 Amazon.com gift card

also, if you ever shop online use cash back sites such as ebates.  I get some extra money this way too...

I have a giveaway on my blog right now, it's for a Christmas Dress...maybe you can win it for your daughter!  click here

i also have yard sales a couple times a year and i try to save most of that money for Christmas shopping

Liansmommie
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM

I really feel for you. We wouldn't have had a christmas at all except for a Cafemom influencer and a contest we won for an amazon gift card. This time of year is always the hardest.

momkaribg
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM
I use mypoints also.

Quoting Kainalu55:

i'm sorry to hear this!  try swagbucks, use the search engine, you get points that you can redeem for gift cards!  I get at least $5.00 a month in Amazon gift cards, sometimes $10.  I just save it all up for Christmas shopping!  (i'm not sure if it'll work on your phone though)

i also do mypoints.  I just read e-mails, 5 points per e-mail.  I was able to redeem my points for a $50 Amazon.com gift card

also, if you ever shop online use cash back sites such as ebates.  I get some extra money this way too...

I have a giveaway on my blog right now, it's for a Christmas Dress...maybe you can win it for your daughter!  click here

i also have yard sales a couple times a year and i try to save most of that money for Christmas shopping

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lisa0626
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I m sorry your going through a tough time. I can understand your frustration. It's so tight with us this year as well. It really can get to you. Hugs, mama. It will get better.

Stormy6669
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I hear you! We are in the same boat plus the bdays! I have one with a bday three days after Christmas another three weeks later. We always seem to manage somehow. Hugs.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Hugs! Money is always tight for us too around this time of the year. My husband is a pastor and gets his Christmas bonus on Christmas eve and it's just what the congregation donates so we can't use that to buy gifts before but it is a help after to catch up. We try to save a little every month and we keep things fairly simple.  I hope you are able to have a wonderful Christmas regardless of hard times!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)