Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about fresh veggies?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM
  • 17 Replies

Hey ladies,

I love to cook with all fresh veggies and fruits. But, I am noticing that my fresh produce just doesn't stay fresh for as long as I would like. I feel like I have to rush to use them or throw them out. It's not like I am waiting so long, but they go bad pretty fast. So, does anyone have any tips on keeping your produce fresh for longer? Thanks so much.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elvisfan4ever
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:18 PM

My DIL puts lettuce in a long keeper wrapped in paper towels that are moistened..Lasts much longer than mine ever did...THe celery she puts in a kind of cup filled with water..It lasts long too....the green bags out there work too....

hfaddis
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:52 PM

hmm i dont have any tips! But I have the same problem, will have to keep an eye on this post and see if i get any good tips =)

Lisa0626
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Thanks ladies. I will try putting some veggies in water to see if that helps any. I also remember seeing a product that is sold to help keep produce fresh as well. I just can't remember the name of the product. Hmm, I wonder if anyone else remembers it?

mom2aspclboy
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Buy in season & buy locally & your produce will last a bit longer.  Produce that is grown out of season must travel a long way to get to you, so it's already "old" by the time you get it.  If you buy your produce locally, as in grown locally, it doesn't have to travel as far, therefore will have a longer shelf life for you at home. 

angelbabies14
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:13 PM
I agree. Buy at local farmers markets when possible. Most fruits and veggies have been frozen or covered in wax for a period of time before it ever gets put out on shelves. A lot of "fresh" produce in grocery stores is also sprayed with chemicals and is not healthy for anyone. I usually do my shopping for the month but I will visit the market for fresh produce weekly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:14 PM

I usually buy my produce as we need it so it's always tip top shape.

KelliansMom
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:16 PM
I blanch and freeze some stuff I get like green beans and broccoli and others I just buy the day off if I want fresh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I actually use the Green Bags they have commercials for - they sell them at some grocery stores now too. They work well for me. Also, with strawberries specifically, they'll last longer if you cut the stem off as soon as you get them home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Most seem to last just as long as they used to.

Lisa0626
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Great idea ladies, I can go to a local Farmers Market and get produce, that would be a nice change. I am not always able to get to the store for the day of produce, so that was my problem too. But I agree also with buying in season. Thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)