Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Gift Giving 101

Posted by   + Show Post

Holiday shopping seems so straightforward until you start. You have to buy for your kids, family, friends, and a string of acquaintances, including a holiday party grab bag gift. Without a plan, it's easy to mismanage your shopping funds, and inevitably forget someone. We get how busy you are, so here's a cheat-sheet for holiday gift-giving.

Family and Friends These people are always on your list every year. Write down everyone's name and what they want. If you don't know exactly what you're getting them, write down a dollar amount next to their names, so you don't go overboard. When it comes to your kids, get the same number of presents, if your daughter gets just one more than your son, you'll never hear the end of it. (I know from experience!)

"Emergency" Gift Stash  Keep a stash of gifts on hand for things like hostess gifts, office grab bags, unexpected dinner guests, and for when you receive a gift that you weren't counting on; try 4-6 gifts in the $25 range. Think of things like candles and picture frames. And don't forget some generic gifts for men, too; a scarf or gloves are always useful, and thoughtful.

Wrap It Up  Get your wrap workstation in order, and have everything you need on hand. (Tape, more tape, scissors, ribbon, bags, and boxes.)Use different papers for your family and friends. Maybe one child gets the paper with the snowflakes, the other gets the striped paper. This makes it so much easier to keep track of who gets what. Wrap all the "emergency" gifts in a generic brown, white, or winter-themed gift bags. It gives the gift a longer shelf life-need a small thank-you gift in February, you're all set. It's also suited for anyone.   

When you're holiday shopping do you write out a list, or just wing it?

by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
Kaci
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 10:51 AM
I always have a list or r two written out. LOL and I have extra small gifts put to the side just in case I need one unexpectedly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I usually just wing it since we only by for our kids, each other, and teachers.

Samanthamommy
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Wing it.

mommythree0508
by Corinne on Dec. 7, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Quoting bether89:

Most of the time I have a list and buy for only the people on that list.

chiquis
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 7:50 PM
Wing it lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jerichos_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Good ideas

Liansmommie
by on Dec. 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM

I have my list as specific as possible with a couple back ups. I know how much everything is an d where to find it. I shop surgically during the holidays.

Samanthamommy
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Wing it.

elijahsmama09
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM

I dont beleive in emergnecy stash of gifts. If someone gives me a gift and I want to give them something, I will find them something I like. It may not be on Christmas, but it will be within a couple days. I think having stockpiles of "just in case" gifts takes away from the real meaning.

aj23
by Amanda on Dec. 14, 2011 at 11:37 PM

I just wing it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN