Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Home: Decorating the Tree

Posted by   + Show Post

Time to deck those halls and decorate that tree. The tree is one of my all-time favorite traditions, the smell, the lights, the uniqueness. Every tree is different, and everyone does it differently. There’s no wrong way, which is probably why I like it so much. Not sure where to start, or want to improve on your tree tradition? Here’s some great tips.

Hanging lights on the tree can be a source of serious frustration. (Just ask my dad.) To make things easier, first make sure you have enough lights and plug them in before even untangling them to make sure they work. BHG.com suggests 100 lights for every foot of tree you have. (The lights are the best part, so no skimping!) They also suggest that when you start to string them, start from the bottom and work your way up.

Ornaments can be personal, fun, or themed; whatever they are make sure your favorite ornaments are front and center! If you have a lot of big ornaments, make sure you spread them out.

If you use garland, ribbon, or bows, make sure you use some less-is-more restraint. Garland can take over a tree and you want all those great decorations to shine through.

Also, if your tree is against a wall, consider tying a piece of fishline around it and fastening it to an eye-hook in the wall. I learned this trick the hard way after our tree crashed down one year. Also learned the hard way, put a plastic garbage bag down under the tree and the tree stand to help protect floor from spills—and to make tree cleanup easier.

Most important have fun with your family setting up the tree and enjoy it!

What are your tree traditions?

by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
jridgill
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Quoting amy7243:

We vary~sometimes real trees sometime fake. This year fake. The kids love decorating it, I let them. We always hang candy canes on it also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by kimmy on Dec. 8, 2011 at 8:10 PM
the day after ThanksGiving to put up the tree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kgmmw
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2011 at 8:12 PM
We have a pre-lit 7 ft tree. We usually put it up on Thanksgiving, but this yr we did it sooner. The kids and hubby help decorate it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kast03
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I put up the tree and lights, my daughter decorates it with all the ornaments we have gathered since she was born.  We play Christmas music and have goodies while we do this too.

Cafe Veronica
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 4:00 PM

We usually decorate the tree together. We don't go through the hassle with the lights though since ours is pre-lit :)

GirlWithANikon
by Member on Dec. 9, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Honestly I usually decorate the tree myself. Its usually themed and like a room center peice. My kids don't seem to mind. This year we are at grandmas and so they decorated her tree. They weren't all that into it.

Kaci
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I dont place the lights around the tree but vertical! Up and down. It makes it so much easier to put them on and take them off.

Also ds and I decorate it except for the star. My dh is a truck driver and we wait until he gets home for him to place the star on top.christmas tree

letstalk747
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 9:01 PM

me and my kids do the tree

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2011 at 9:46 PM

We normally put the tree up either the day after or the weekend after Thanksgiving.   I love all the different ornaments.  We have some old and some new.  It's all about family. 

Laura1427
by Member on Dec. 9, 2011 at 10:15 PM

We just started a new tradition, actually. We have a Christmas countdown that I made. It is 25 bags. One for each day in the month od Dec. The kids get to open one each day (sort of like a present). Inside each bag is an ornament for the tree. I made 25 unique ornaments.

I will make new ornaments each year, but use the sae bags over and over. I do not want to sew another bag for a long time, as you might imagine. LOL. Here are some pics of our Christmas Countdown!

These are the bags. Not all of them were there(I was in the middle of hanging it up), but you get the idea. I sewed each one and embroidered a snowflake on each one.

Jeremiah opening up the first bag on Dec. 1 :-D

Jeremiah showing Charlotte how to hang ornaments (this was the first ornament from the countdown).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN