Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Do Your Own Manicure

Posted by   + Show Post

December is flying by, and things are getting busier every day. With all the holiday rush, it can be hard to actually find time to keep up with grooming to look nice at all the events coming up in the next few weeks! Not to mention shelling out for a manicure or pedicure when there are so many other things to spend money on is a bit of a stretch.

The good news is, if you can carve out a little time you can give yourself an at-home manicure that will rival a salon job. You can even type on your computer or check off your Christmas list while they dry!

According to Marie Claire, here's what you need to know:

Start off by getting rid of any old polish, then file your nails to the shape you like (the fashionistas at Marie Claire suggest a shortish, straight-across nail with rounded edges).

Then soak your nails for a few minutes to soften cuticles, and apply cuticle cream to them (olive oil works well if you don't have cuticle cream handy). Push your cuticles back with an orange stick.

Use a nice rich hand cream on your hands, and then wipe down your nails with a damp cloth or more nail polish remover to get rid of oils and help polish stick.

Apply a base coat (this keeps the polish from staining your nails and helps it last longer). Let it dry for one minute and then apply polish, starting at the sides of each nail and then down the middle. Do two coats and then a top coat (I like the kind that help the polish dry faster, although it makes the polish flake more quickly).

I picked up a couple of new colors lately...one sparkly, pretty holiday-ish red and a glittery dark gray I'll try if I'm feeling daring (or use on my toes, which no one is really seeing in this chilly Midwestern weather). What's your favorite holiday polish color? And do you have any time-saving beauty tips?

by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-55):
VarelaClan
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 3:35 PM
I'm a terrible nail biter....so no manicures for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyprice09
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM

i do this! saves a ton

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Jan. 23, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I always do my own nails

Turtledoves
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Love this!

I refuse to pay so much money for professional. I do it myself or they don't get done at all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazycountrymom
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM
I got a really pretty dark green for Christmas and it is one of my new favorites and an off white which will be be really nice this summer : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)