Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Keep Kids Happy All Winter

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 64 Replies

With the holidays behind us, we start to settle back into a routine; but a routine in January and February is usually filled with a lot of indoor time with short days and the cold weather settling in. Moms have to keep little ones entertained, and day after day that can be a hugely exhausting task. One way to try to get ahead of the game is to use this first week/weekend, when little ones are still enamored with their gifts from the holidays, to stock up with ideas, games, and toys to keep them entertained and happily playing through till Spring.

All moms have favorite Web sites, a few to check out for ideas in addition to cafemom.com, are FamilyFun and Kaboose. Instead of searching randomly, look for craft ideas that the whole family can do, and games you can all play. Baking can also be a family activity; pizzas are fun to make as are cupcakes and cookies. (Tip: If you don't want to have to spend an hour cleaning the kitchen after the cookies are made, buy the premade cookie dough and have the main activity be decorating the cookies. Stock up on different cookie and cake decorating tools.)

Also, use post-season toy sales to pick up toys and games on sale. Come February, a new game, DVD, coloring book, reading book, or small toy might just be the thing to keep peace in the family.

How do you keep kids entertained in the winter?

by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chiquis
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 12:05 AM
As long as my kids get new puzzles every so often they are entertained lol. We also have stacks of board games.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Sara on Jan. 2, 2012 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this
i hide old toys and bring them out later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by kimmy on Jan. 2, 2012 at 8:39 AM
*whisper's* a Wii helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leelee1008
by Alicia on Jan. 2, 2012 at 8:45 AM

my kids got new nintendo DS systems for xmas, plus skylanders for wii, I think were set LOL.

RnNHamilton
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

We play with play-dough, paint, color, puzzles, board games, they just got some leap frog games too. With the play-dough, we have plastic sheets that they play on so it doesn't make a huge mess; for paint also.

4kidz916
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I love Family Fun.  We do a lot of board games and we use the Wii games for our exercise. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM

son got some new toys and we also got books for preschool and K...

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:33 AM

we also like going to the mall play area or chick fil a play area when we can

sweetpea1269
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM
They keep themselves busy these days... But we do bring the kinect into the living room for all to play
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Klynn-whitlow
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Mine are younger, and pretty good about keeping themselves busy with what toys are around, books, games, coloring, movies, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)