Smarter Mom: Stock Up For A Snow Day

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 74 Replies
1 mom liked this

This winter isn't panning out like last winter, at least here on the East Coast. Last year, by now, the kids already had 5 snow days. This year, we had zilch--none. That's not to say the snow isn't coming, who knows what February will bring, which is why it's smart to stock up on essential snow day treats, now.

Snow days are a great excuse to get some family time in. When you're looking for things for them to do, think of things the whole family would enjoy. A board game is always fun, get one age appropriate for everyone. (Some would say a new video game the whole family could play is cooler, but I'm a bit old-fashioned when it comes to family time.) Also, you can stock up on a new DVD. After snowball fights, sledding, and snowmen, it's nice to get cozy with some blankets, pillows, and a big bowl of popcorn, and watch a movie.

Tap into their creative sides, too. Come up with a fun project, like making snowflakes, a wintry scene with paints, or 3D snowmen. (See more winter craft projects, here.)

End the day with some yummy cold weather treats, like hot soup, mac and cheese, or have something simmering in the crockpot, like a hearty stew or flavorful pulled pork. Now, let it snow!

What's a typical snow day like for you?

by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilahsmommie
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Last year was brutal!!

lilahsmommie
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 12:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I always try to have essentials stocked up in the winter as well,, such as milk and bread. In the winter I dont wait till the last minute to get these things because you just dont know when you wikk be stuck in the house where I live..lol

lilahsmommie
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I like the new board game idea. This is a good idea for sick days and rainy days as spring and summer approach.

LOswald0314
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 12:55 AM

We rarely have them here in Western Washington...but tomorrow is already being deemed one.  I have some DVD's the kids haven't watched yet and luckily fixings for a few different crock pot meals.

flowerfunleah
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Can't wait for some good snow weather!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2012 at 1:18 AM

no snow days here! we do have rainy days though...we play board games, watch tv, bake

Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2012 at 1:18 AM

yes...it is!

Quoting lilahsmommie:

I like the new board game idea. This is a good idea for sick days and rainy days as spring and summer approach.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jan. 18, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I'm on the east coast too, so we haven't had any big snow days this year.  They are usually pretty much the same as any other day to me.

jendawn1
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2012 at 1:33 AM
Great tips. Its going to be a snow day here tomorrow. Huge storm. Ty
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilMissCupcake
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 3:11 AM

uhh i hate snow :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Today's Question Tell us what you think!

What is your family's favorite springtime activity?