Group Home

Smarter Health: Become BFFs With Your Kitchen

Posted by   + Show Post

A dieter's best friend and worst enemy can be her own kitchen. It's especially hard to keep it stocked with healthy choices with kids in the house. Even if you buy them healthy snacks, like organic low-fat chips, it doesn't help if you polish off the whole bag in one sitting. Here are a few cooking tips and tools to help you and your kitchen become BFFs.

The Panini maker, Foreman grill, or similar type machine is perfect for low-fat cooking, and great for easy, and tasty, lunches. Turn on your Panini maker and all of a sudden, that turkey, cheese and tomato sandwich tastes almost sinful. Cook up a turkey burger, or grill up some chicken.

Snacks are my downfall, without fail and the only time I can win over the snack monster is to not have them in the house-and with a house full of people, that's just not fair. So I improvise. I keep air-popped popcorn around. If I get the urge to devour a bag of chips, I'll heat up the popcorn and make a big bowl. It looks so indulgent, but it's no. I don't use butter, just a little spray of olive oil and seasonings, like old-bay or sea salt.

Remember, sometimes when you feel like eating, you really are just thirsty. If you get tired of water, make a pitcher of unsweetened ice tea, or crystal lite lemonade and keep it stocked in the fridge.

What are you doing in the kitchen today?

by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (81-84):
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Dishes like I do every day and clean up the counter and sweep the floor.

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Feb. 29, 2012 at 8:12 AM
I try and make ost things from scratch so I know whats in it and how healthy it is
MissyB1011
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 8:37 AM

These are some great tips. Snacking is my downfall. I try to keep my Brita pitcher full of water to help fight it.

lovegrace222
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I used to be good about drinking water-- need to get back to that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80