Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Bedtime Life-Savers

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 58 Replies

Pretty much every parent I know feels a certain amount of stress over the hours between one or both parents arriving home from work and the kids finally, finally being packed off to bed. In our house it's just a mad rush of supervising homework, picking up toys, getting dinner on the table, walking the dog, giving the kids baths or showers and tucking them in.

I'm lucky to have a husband who's generally home for all the craziness and actually participates equally, and I have only two kids so we can run a man-to-man versus a zone defense. Our keys to some degree of sanity have been a pretty much ironclad routine so our kids know what to expect next, and creating a bedtime ritual with both kids.

Lately, we've been doing progressive relaxation (having them imagine relaxing their body from their toes up to their heads). The progressive relaxation exercise really helps them wind down and switch off the daytime "wild child" behavior. The downside to that is that I have on more than one occasion almost fallen asleep myself!

A kiss on the head and and "I love you, sleep tight!" and we're out of there. It's actually my favorite part of the day, ending it on a warm and loving note and enjoying some sweet snuggling after the crazy pace of the day. I'm going to be pretty sad when I get, at best, a "good night, mom!" before they go up to bed themselves.

What are your bedtime tricks to help make it a pleasant, positive time of the day?

by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jan. 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Actually she's really good about bedtime. We have a routine we stick to and she follows it. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 26, 2012 at 12:38 AM

When my dd was younger either I or dh would walk her upstairs and read her a book or do a puzzle together then tuck her in. Now we just tell her it's bedtime and she goes to bed.

LindaClement
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 12:56 AM

What's the downside of getting a little more sleep?

It sounds like a lovely way to end a day!

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:18 AM

My DD likes a bed time story after her shower.

Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:53 AM

i could use some tips...

Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:54 AM

my daughter likes bedtime stories...

Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 2:29 AM

we don't have a set routine, but we really should!

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

Actually she's really good about bedtime. We have a routine we stick to and she follows it. :)

Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2012 at 2:30 AM

bed time stories are great...sometimes we make them up without a book!

Quoting lalasmama2007:

My DD likes a bed time story after her shower.

kast03
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 8:37 AM

We read together in her bed.  Then a quick cuddle and a good night kiss.  I will miss this time too when she is "too big".

amy7243
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 9:00 AM
My youngest has a huge sock monkey names max he sleeps with :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)