Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Savings: Winter Clothing Clearance

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 61 Replies

Where I live, winter has barely even started (we're having a bizarrely mild winter and hardly any snow). In most places where it gets even a little cold, we're in for a good two months more of chilly weather, if we're lucky. I refuse to pack away the cold weather clothes until my early-June birthday, just in case.

Which is why I was pretty excited to see that Kmart has winter clothing on clearance.The website has tons of really cute stuff, from va-va-voom dresses from Sofia Vergara (including one I actually saw her wear on Modern Family) to coats and sweaters. You can save money on something you'll get at least another couple months wear of. Because you're buying late in the season, too, you won't be sick of the very sight of it by the time winter rolls around next year.

One thing to remember is that the savings don't stop with things you or your kids can wear now. This is a great time to buy ahead in the size your child will be in next year (or your best guess). I've scored really nice quality coats for my kids on clearance the past two winters, and it's a really good feeling to be ready when the inevitable temperature drop hits in October the next year. It's not just coats that are a good deal to stock up on now for next year, either; think warm PJs, fleece tops, sweaters, etc. You could even get a jump on next year's Christmas gifts...I spied a Jaclyn Smith cashmere sweater that was sold at full price at $89.99 on sale for as low as $35.99.

Do you like to stock up on next year's stuff at clearance time? What are you on the lookout for?

by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 27, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I usually don't stock up. I should though.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jan. 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM
2 moms liked this
I usually stock up on things for my dd in the next size up.
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I hit JC Pennys and found a few things, but they are already changing to their new set up for prices and it was kind of confusing, a lot of stuff was crammed together, some stuff was on the wrong hangers, like it say 5t on the hanger and is a 12 month shirt. But they were crowded together on a rack and I spent a lot of time digging for the sizes I need just to find out they were wrong.

lillucky8
by Jen on Jan. 27, 2012 at 6:18 AM
I should go paroose the store, maybe this afternoon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy7243
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 6:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I love clearance!! I buy everything on clearance.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jan. 27, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I love stocking up for  Winter during summer. You can find the best prices on coats that way!!!!

sweetpea1269
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 8:01 AM
Maybe I'll check it out later today :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liz.1986
by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 8:20 AM
I have stocked up before, but I really should start doing it again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2012 at 8:23 AM
I usually don't stock up, but I really want and need to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daerca574
by Danya on Jan. 27, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I usually onlybuy for my DD.  My son is still really growing so I usually wait.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)