Group Home

Smarter Home: Organize Your Home Office

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 57 Replies
1 mom liked this

Home organization is always something we're striving for, but never seem to be satisfied with. A few weeks ago I did a piece on cleaning up all those kid's toys that are scattered around your family room. Well, that's just one small part of your home that probably needs help. At least, for me it is. Some of you mentioned you needed help in the home-office area. Well, I'm with you there, too. Here are a few great ideas to help all of us all get better organized-me included!

I have an abundance of paper clutter, thanks to never-ending stream of mail and magazines. To keep track of all the medical documents, mine, my daughter's and my husbands, I'm going to try a file folder, like this stylish one. At least the medical documents will all be in one place. So when I get a bill that I know I already paid, I'll be able to go to one source to locate it. Tip: Don't go crazy and try organizing by type of doctor, month, etc. Step one is to just get all the documents in one place where you can find them.

For other documents, I'm going to use a 3-basket system: One for bank/finance; one for other important documents that are not medical and not bank/finance but things related to our car or home, and one for non-important stuff, like coupons and cards. This way I can just dump the mail in the appropriate basket.

One trick to cut down on your magazines is to rip out the pages you want to remember, and then toss the magazine when you're through. (Harder said than done, I know.) For the magazines you're waiting to read or want to save, keep them in a magazine file. Nice and neat.

Last, it's time to move all those notes-to-self somewhere more constructive than your desk, where they get lost and linger for months. Try a corkboard, which will help you see all your remidners quickly and at a glance.

What's your home organization tip for mail?

by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:04 AM
I look through the mail and throw out all the junk mail first. Then I figure out what is important and what isn't. I have a place for the important things and bills on my desk. When I finish paying a bill I put it in my cart in my room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy7243
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 6:34 AM
I throw away all junk mail...and bills go on computer desk.
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Feb. 13, 2012 at 7:00 AM
Opening and filing right away helps. Trash to the trash and important stuff to the desk or cabinet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eustacejessica
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:24 AM

junk mail is thrown away instantly

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:30 AM

That's a good idea, we could use some organization for our mail!

lasombrs
by Sara on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:13 AM
i open over the trash lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I try to toss junk mail immediately. We have a mail basket. 

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM

This.

Quoting eustacejessica:

junk mail is thrown away instantly

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I always go through mail right away and put everything in its' proper place....no piling up here:)

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM

junk mail goes straight into recycling, bills to be paid are clipped to the fridge, all else i need to keep gets put into a box to be filed when i get a chance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. letstalk747
  2. lizzig
  3. Jukebox_Jenny
  4. powow65
  5. alf2651
  6. Angela4boys