Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: Healthy Versions of Our Favorite Foods

Posted by   + Show Post

Whether it's for the Super Bowl, or for an indulgent weekend treat, we love food that's bad for us. Here's a few ways to make our favorite foods a little bit healthier, while still feeling like a treat.

Slow cookers are great for infusing lots of flavors. And a football-watching favorite is pulled pork sandwiches. Instead of using pork shoulder, try chicken. It reduces the fat by half and you still get that yummy barbecue flavor of the sauce with moist shredded chicken.

Another favorite is chili. Use either 90% lean beef or a combination of turkey meat and beef. Load it up with green and red peppers, onions, and celery, all finely chopped. For the chili fixings, in addition to jalepeno peppers and diced tomatoes, shred 50% reduced fat cheddar (Cabot is delicious.), and use reduced fat sour cream. These have a lot of flavor, and no one will know the difference. Tip: Don't use fat-free versions, they never taste like the real thing.

Who doesn't love pizza? Get a whole wheat dough and roll it out on a baking sheet. (Tip: Make sure the dough is room temperature when you roll it out for baking sheet.) Add tomato sauce and some part-skim mozzarella. For a real treat, top it off with peppers, onions, and some turkey sausage.

What's your favorite "bad-for-you" food?

by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-64):
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 14, 2012 at 8:45 PM

my 5 year old likes these lol

Quoting amy7243:

Deep fried onion rings....Mmm!

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I have used my slow cooker more this winter than I ever have, thanks to all the delicious recipes I found on cafe mom.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Gravy, on just about anything. I do lighten it up bu making it with water, but still not very healthy.

aj23
by Amanda on Feb. 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM

pizza

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN