Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Slow Cooker Love

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 97 Replies

Growing up in the 1970s, my mom went through the "going crazy for the Crock-Pot (a trademarked name for slow cookers)" phase. I remember a lot of pot roast and chili.

Fast forward 35 years later and we modern moms have realized our mothers were really on to something. Of course, ours are sleek stainless steel or white ones and usually oval, not round, so as to accommodate a whole chicken or a big cut of beef. And while pot roast and chili are sill wonderful fron the slow cooker, there are a whole lot more options available to us today, recipe-wise.

If you haven't joined the slow-cooker revolution yet, you really should try it. There is nothing better on a busy night than realizing dinner is already done when you walk in the door. I have class on Wednesday nights, so it's a nice feeling to know my husband has dinner waiting for him and the kids instead of leaving him with all the nighttime responsibilities. And usually, slow-cooker recipes take a minimum of prep, so you get to enjoy simmered-all-day taste with like 10 minutes of bleary-eyed effort in the morning. Recipes often make a TON, so you can have lunches or even another dinner all tied up too.

Here are a couple favorite recipes of mine:

Italian Beef (I made this today, actually!);

Black Bean Enchiladas

Crock Pot Lentils: This is from Stephanie O'Dea, who used her slow cooker every day for a year and wrote two cookbooks as a result. The lady knows her stuff.

Do you have a slow cooker, and do you use it a lot? What's your favorite slow-cooker dish?

(Photo via Crock-Pot.com)

by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chiquis
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM
I have a big one and a small one but don't use them much. I use them for potatoe soup, ribs, chili, things like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jerichos_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Thanksfor sharing

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM
I love my crockpots!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MAyers
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:43 AM
I love my crockpot, its my best friend during the winter. Tomorrow im making chili in it :) cant wait!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard
by Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I just got one for christmas and haven't gotten the hang of it. The meat is usually dry and flavorless but everything else is flavorful.

amy7243
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 6:49 AM
I love using my crockpots! Calico beans are my favorite!
Katherine696997
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 6:51 AM
Quoting chiquis:

I have a big one and a small one but don't use them much. I use them for potatoe soup, ribs, chili, things like that.

mamivon2
by Sandra on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:47 AM

yes we have one and yes I use it like 2 a week if not more...

brookiecookie87
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I tend to only use my slow cooker for roast beef. I might have to try one of these other recipes of yours.

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I just made crock pot chicken last night. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)