Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All purpose cleaner

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM
  • 56 Replies
I'm going to share with y'all my "recipe" for making an all purpose cleaner:) Well, actually, it's my mom's but she passed it on to me lol.

Here's what you'll need:

*An empty spray bottle or you can get one from home depot with the measurements on it. Costs $1.50, I think.

*Water

*White vinegar

* Essential oil or concentrated scented oil of your choice (lime, orange, lavender etc). The latter is cheaper, I get it from wal-mart in the candle/incense aisle. It's $5 for the large bottle.

*Baking soda

In the spray bottle, mix one part vinegar with three parts of water & about an ounce of the oil. Add 1/2 tsp (or a pinch) of baking soda. Just let that set otherwise it'll fizz a lot. Use.

Very simple, CHEAP & effective. Vinegar is a major grease cutter& disinfectant:)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmybooskies
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM

It seems like a wonderful idea. However, I don't like the idea of cleaning with something that doesn't  disenfects...or does vinegar kill germs ( I think I may have heard that before)??

momkaribg
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Thanks for sharing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Luvmybooskies:

It seems like a wonderful idea. However, I don't like the idea of cleaning with something that doesn't  disenfects...or does vinegar kill germs ( I think I may have heard that before)??

Yes it does. Vinegar kills 99 percent of bacteria, 82 percent of mold, and 80 percent of germs (viruses).

Heniz or whatever you get can't claim that the product is a disinfectant since the company has not registered it as a pesticide with the Environmental Protection Agency. However, it seems to be common knowledge in the industry that vinegar is powerfully antibacterial.

Luvmybooskies
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM

That's awesome! I'm definitely going to try making some :)

Quoting OliviaW.:

Quoting Luvmybooskies:

It seems like a wonderful idea. However, I don't like the idea of cleaning with something that doesn't  disenfect...or does vinegar kill germs ( I think I may have heard that before)??

Yes it does. Vinegar kills 99 percent of bacteria, 82 percent of mold, and 80 percent of germs (viruses).

Heniz or whatever you get can't claim that the product is a disinfectant since the company has not registered it as a pesticide with the Environmental Protection Agency. However, it seems to be common knowledge in the industry that vinegar is powerfully antibacterial.

Luvmybooskies
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Is this something you have to make as you need it, or can you keep a bottle filled and store it like you would a store bought cleaner? 

black.eyeliner
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:17 PM
I do the same but with lemon juice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Vinegar and water works wonders on stuff too. 5% vinegar or straight. I make my own products. Vinegar is some of the best stuff and the smell is gone rather quickly. 

Quoting Luvmybooskies:

That's awesome! I'm definitely going to try making some :)

Quoting OliviaW.:

Quoting Luvmybooskies:

It seems like a wonderful idea. However, I don't like the idea of cleaning with something that doesn't  disenfect...or does vinegar kill germs ( I think I may have heard that before)??

OliviaW.
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Quoting Luvmybooskies:

Is this something you have to make as you need it, or can you keep a bottle filled and store it like you would a store bought cleaner? 

You can make your cleaner and store it. You just need to give it a slight shake before use. 

aubsmom09
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Luvmybooskies
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Thanks :) I'm so excited to try this lol! I'm obsessed with Clorox wipes, but they are just so expensive.

Quoting OliviaW.:

Quoting Luvmybooskies:

You can make your cleaner and store it. You just need to give it a slight shake before use. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)