Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Baby Travel

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 73 Replies

We're thinking of taking my daughter on vacation in April, she's nine months old. It's a family vacation, one where my parents, my brother, his wife and my niece all go, and an assortment of other relatives depending on the year. The destination is HiltonHead South Carolina, which is within driving distance (10-12 hours) or we can take a quick 2-hour flight. I'm not sure which we're going to attempt, but I do know we need to pack a lot of things. I started researching baby travel gear and found some great stuff that fits our travel needs; and even has me thinking it might not be so hard to travel with a baby afterall.

Obviously, we can't bring her crib, but we can bring a Pack-n-Play. They fold up so small and compact, and are relatively lightweight. She can sleep in it at night, and we can use it during the day whenever we need to contain our enthusiastic crawler.

A high chair is also out, but I wasn't excited about lugging a plastic booster seat with us either, which is why I was excited to find this Baby Travel Chair. It's easily packable, comes in its own carry-case, and will definitely be coming with us.

If we fly, we'll need to rent a car when we get there, which means we'll need our car seat. It's not small, and it's heavy.  Luckily, there's this Car Seat Bag that has straps, a handle, and luggage wheels to make it easier to lug that car seat through airports.  

What do you find helpful when you travel with kids?

by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alejandra10
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Toys, books, snacks, coloring book
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM
I haven't traveled much but snacks and a bag of toys he hasn't seen helps a lot!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I haven't travel more than an hour drive with ds, and he always sleeps in the car.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Books, toys, extra snacks, games.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy7243
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 6:23 AM
Snacks! Video games!
fraujones
by Amanda on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:03 AM

That travel chair is cute.

The Nintendo DS helps with my older daughter. 

slw123
by Shawna on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Many hotels and condos have pack n plays there if you call ahead and reserve it you'll know whether you need to bring yours or not.  Also we used to bring the kids booster seat with tray (that folds all up) in place of high chairs.  Bring a day or two worth of diapers and buy more once you get there.

meam4444
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM

lots of snacks and new toys!

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I never had to fly with my kids and the furthest we have ever driven was two hours lol. We just pack snacks, books, and dolls. Usually they fall asleep and we don't have any problems.

Mama032908
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Food for sure!! That high chair thing looks awesome! !!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)