Group Home

Smarter Health: Clean Air Fights Allergies

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

Because of the balmy winter we're having experts are calling for an early and possibly severe upcoming allergy season. It's best to start now to arm yourself against those pesky allergens.   

Your first line of defense is to become familiar with the term HEPA. You'll find this term associated with air filters, air purifiers, and vacuum cleaners. HEPA is an acronym for "high efficiency particulate air". Basically HEPA is a type of filter that can trap a large amount of very small particles that other vacuum cleaners or air purifiers would simply recirculate back into the air.

There are different types of HEPA filters available in products. What you want is True or Absolute HEPA, which adheres to the highest standards. HEPA-like filters or HEPA-type filters usually cost less and though they may look like their HEPA counterparts and may even be made like them, they can't filter as well and don't meet the highest standard.

Before allergy season really gets underway, arm yourself with a True HEPA air purifier and HEPA vacuum cleaner. (I have the air purifier in our bedroom, since we're in that room the most.) It's important to changer your filters--vacuum, air purifier, humidifier or dehumidifier, air conditioner-- frequently to keep the air in your home clean. I admit, I use to let this go in our home, until I got smart. I now buy several filters at once, and then set alarms on my phone to change the filters according to the package. That way, when I want to change the filter, I have spares in the closet.

Do you have allergies? What do you do to keep the air allergen free?

by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sophie4910
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Yes I have allergies. A few of us do. I need to get a purifier. We've been thinking about it lately. Maybe I'll look around tomorrow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I do have allergies.  Flowers bother me more than anything.  So I do not have fresh flowers in the house.

amy7243
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 6:04 AM
I do have allergies. I try to keep the dust low.
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 6:24 AM

I don't have them but my DH does.  

cat4458
by New Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I have allergies and have had even as a kid.  They are so... much better than in the years past. I am allergic to cats and have 3 and still don't have much of problem.  I kinda wished I didn't love cats. lolI have hepa filters on my vacuum, furnace, air cleaner I have for sleeping. They really help!! That's a good idea to use your phone calendar for a reminder to change them.  I write the date on the furnace filter & the others on the calendar, but should get them all synchronized & use the phone calendar. 

imgnabamommy
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I do have allergies. when we lived in a place with central heat and AC i got the strongest filter that I could find. 

powow65
by kimmy on Feb. 28, 2012 at 9:26 AM
dust.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on Feb. 28, 2012 at 9:38 AM

We have an air purifier. My husband and daughters suffer from allergies. DH takes Claritin as well. 

our3
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Dd and I have allergies. But I dont own special allergie equiptment. To expensive. We just take our meds and open the windows.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80