Group Home

Smarter Health: Clean Air Fights Allergies

Posted by   + Show Post

Because of the balmy winter we're having experts are calling for an early and possibly severe upcoming allergy season. It's best to start now to arm yourself against those pesky allergens.   

Your first line of defense is to become familiar with the term HEPA. You'll find this term associated with air filters, air purifiers, and vacuum cleaners. HEPA is an acronym for "high efficiency particulate air". Basically HEPA is a type of filter that can trap a large amount of very small particles that other vacuum cleaners or air purifiers would simply recirculate back into the air.

There are different types of HEPA filters available in products. What you want is True or Absolute HEPA, which adheres to the highest standards. HEPA-like filters or HEPA-type filters usually cost less and though they may look like their HEPA counterparts and may even be made like them, they can't filter as well and don't meet the highest standard.

Before allergy season really gets underway, arm yourself with a True HEPA air purifier and HEPA vacuum cleaner. (I have the air purifier in our bedroom, since we're in that room the most.) It's important to changer your filters--vacuum, air purifier, humidifier or dehumidifier, air conditioner-- frequently to keep the air in your home clean. I admit, I use to let this go in our home, until I got smart. I now buy several filters at once, and then set alarms on my phone to change the filters according to the package. That way, when I want to change the filter, I have spares in the closet.

Do you have allergies? What do you do to keep the air allergen free?

by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
kgmmw
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM
My son has allergies really bad. Dust,cats, mold, grass just to name a few
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I don't, but the rest of my family does. We have 2 cats and a dog, so it's hard to keep the fur from getting everywhere. We have an air purifier, but don't remember where to get the filters.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I do have a Hepa filter on my vacuum.

Liansmommie
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Quoting bether89:

I do have allergies.  Flowers bother me more than anything.  So I do not have fresh flowers in the house.

Flowers kill me!

Bmat
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Thank you for the warning.  I was just feeling pretty comfortable about my allergies- forgot that Spring starts them all up again. We do have a HEPA vacuum. I've tried a HEPA room air filter in the bedroom, but it didn't seem to do much.

Lisa0626
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Great tips. I have a humidifier for the home as well. My dd tends to get a seasonal as ma.

onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I have environmental allergies and am sensitive to animals. I have to take a daily dose of Zyrtec, though it doesn't always help...

wandep
by Pam on Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM

My daughter and I have allergies. We just take our meds. :)

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM
I'm allergic to smoke I just try to avoid it.
fallnangel3
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 6:58 AM

None of us have allergies, so I am lucky!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. aneela
  2. Vertical15
  3. mrswillie
  4. ceciliam
  5. deccaf
  6. SweetLuci