Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh. I always feel guilty.

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM
  • 36 Replies

Spring time is around the corner and with 4 kids, that means I have to buy new clothes. My 10 year-old is pretty good on clothes and is happy with whatever cool t-shirt and shorts from Wal Mart. My 12 year-old is growing like a weed, the 3 year-old's clothes are all stained from last summer and the baby is growing like crazy (14lb @ 2 months old). I ordered the baby some clothes online, went to a couple of stores and bought the babies clothes this week since DH had extra money in his paycheck. DH doesn't mind, but I feel so guilty spending the money. I know it is because I am a SAHM and have been for 3 years. However, it is for the kids and it is stuff that they need.

by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amy7243
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I feel guilty when I do it too.

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I always feel guilty too but I am trying not to because I had rather spend the money to get them some new clothes than for them to have to go to school in their undies.  :-)  

I am sure they appreciate it as well.  LOL

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2012 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

i feel the guilt thing but not for the same reasons.  i never feel guilty for spending on the kids, they need it & can't get it themselves.  however i feel guilty spending on myself, even when it's something that i need like new work shoes or pants.  yes, i work outside of the home & make my own money yet still feel guilty about spending it on me.  when i do i think "i should use it for this bill" or "i can spend a bit more on groceries", etc.  i think having "guilt" of any kind is a normal "mom thing".  we feel guilty if our kids get badly hurt, even if there was nothing we could have done to prevent it.  we feel guilty for taking time for ourselves, even if it is much needed.  i know many moms that have "mom guilt" for one reason or another.  not sure why, we just do!

Lisa0626
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I can understand how you feel. But, as you said it is for the kids and if you were not a stay at home mom, then you would have to spend money on child care. So, you are saving the family money in that respect. Plus, no one does a better job than mom! lol. Don't feel bad mama.

sweetpea1269
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM
Yup, I never feel guilty when its for them, but when its for me...guilt city!
I ordered the baby $60 of cool toys, no guilt what so ever. I want a keurig... Still haven't bought it (with plenty in the bank to do so).

Quoting lizzig:

i feel the guilt thing but not for the same reasons.  i never feel guilty for spending on the kids, they need it & can't get it themselves.  however i feel guilty spending on myself, even when it's something that i need like new work shoes or pants.  yes, i work outside of the home & make my own money yet still feel guilty about spending it on me.  when i do i think "i should use it for this bill" or "i can spend a bit more on groceries", etc.  i think having "guilt" of any kind is a normal "mom thing".  we feel guilty if our kids get badly hurt, even if there was nothing we could have done to prevent it.  we feel guilty for taking time for ourselves, even if it is much needed.  i know many moms that have "mom guilt" for one reason or another.  not sure why, we just do!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leelee1008
by Alicia on Feb. 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I can say that I know what you mean. I am a sahm right now, I havent worked in a few years. Whenever the kids need new stuff I dont feel guitly about buying them stuff, more so myself, so needless to say my clothes are old, my shoes are old I am in desperate need of new stuff and DH says that when taxes finally get here HE is taking me out and I will be getting new stuff.

mamivon2
by Sandra on Feb. 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM
My kids for some odd reason like hand me down
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DelilahsMom4108
by Jeni on Feb. 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM
My kids need new clothes too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

No need to feel guilty. You know what the children need to have and you got it. :)

fairybaby55
by Sara on Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I know what you mean!  I also have a 12 yr old and a 10 yr old, and a 2 yr old that all will need some summer clothes.  I buy a lot on clearance, and also at consignment/thrift type shops for them though.  :-) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)