Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Practicing Good Saving Habits

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM
  • 23 Replies

We all waste money, and usually it's unintentional. Most of us are bad at saving money or putting money away because our subconscious minds are not familiar with the thought of saving. This was my 60-day exercise, from mid-June 2011. Everyday, I had to put away a minimum of one dollar. It had to be every single day for 60 days.

From July 1 to July 15, I saved a total of $27.54. From July 16 to July 31, I saved a total of $72.56. Of course, a dollar was my minimum, but the maximum could be anything.

I put any extra money I had in there. For instance, when I went to the grocery store, any money I saved with a coupon went to my savings.

If I missed two days in a row, and a total of three days in a month, I automatically failed! If I saved less than the minimum, it didn't count. If I only saved the minimum, I also failed! So even if I saved a total of $60 but I didn't save money every day, I still failed! The goal of this practice was consistency. With consistency, saving money will become part of the subconscious mind, and as a result, saving money becomes a natural thing.

♥Joyce♥
Deals & Steals - Group Owner
D&S Coupon Swappers - Group Owner
Join us on Smarter Living! - Group Mod 
Join us in M.O.M. Moments of Motherhood - Group Mod

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blondie.mom
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM

huh, thats a pretty neat exercise. 

divamommao
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

That is a great idea.

Lisa0626
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM

That is a good excerise. I am going to try that.

lyrick24
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM

good idea!

lovinglife0206
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:17 PM
That's a good idea. I never have cash on me though. did you use actual cash?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I have my acct set to put $25 from checking to savings every mon n fri, im hoping soon to add the same on wed, but im trying to.catch up on a cpl extra bills
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM

good idea. We put a little in the bank extra each month and also toss all of our change in a jar to cash in every 6 months.

reindeergames
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:40 PM

The way I save is I have a savings account that I do not know the exact balance to, I do not touch nothing. I put money in there when I can & forget about it. At the very very very least each paycheck I put in a few bucks, such as my last check was $57 & change, I tell the women when I cash my check to put the $7something into my savings & I will put the rest into my checking account, this also prevents me from having to deal with change in my check book register. If I write out a check that is some odd change (rare) then next time I go to the bank I ask that the misc change go into my savings account. I will just continue to do this & some day I will have a nice little account of savings to spend on something extra or as a back up. 

JHanc968
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Cool, let us know how it goes.

Quoting Lisa0626:

That is a good excerise. I am going to try that.

♥Joyce♥

JHanc968
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:59 PM

That's cool!

Quoting reindeergames:

The way I save is I have a savings account that I do not know the exact balance to, I do not touch nothing. I put money in there when I can & forget about it. At the very very very least each paycheck I put in a few bucks, such as my last check was $57 & change, I tell the women when I cash my check to put the $7something into my savings & I will put the rest into my checking account, this also prevents me from having to deal with change in my check book register. If I write out a check that is some odd change (rare) then next time I go to the bank I ask that the misc change go into my savings account. I will just continue to do this & some day I will have a nice little account of savings to spend on something extra or as a back up. 

♥Joyce♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)