Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips To Save Money Using Better Portion Control

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM
  • 17 Replies

1. Don't let kids leave milk in their cereal bowls when they are finished. Make them drink it. Now some of you are about to say, "But that is what leads to child obesity -- making kids clean their plates." No... If you have given them the right portions (1/4-1/2 cup), it will be exactly what they need. They are only getting obese because parents are giving them more than they need, not because they are required to clean their plates.

You will find that kids won't leave as much on their plates if you practice proper portion control. You'll want to make sure they eat what you've given them so they won't come back in an hour wanting a snack or continue grazing after they have gotten up from the table. Eating too much and grazing cause obesity, but practicing good portion control and making sure they get the right nutrients will take care of both of these.

Don't let kids have seconds on anything until they have eaten everything on their plates.

2. Your family will tell you if you are not correctly controlling portions-- not with their mouths, but with their leftovers. If your 5 year old always leaves half of his milk or sandwich, check into it and see if you are giving him too much.
  3. Start small. Serve only half a small container of yogurt, granola bar, apple or banana to children as old as 8 years. Don't let each child grab a whole package of pop tarts. Split it. Better yet, split one pop tart. The same applies for other snacks. Each child doesn't need a whole package of those cheese and cracker or peanut butter cracker snack packs.

If children eat the first half and are still starving, then you can let them have more. I'm not saying don't feed your children. I'm just saying give them a smaller amount at first and then give them more if they're still hungry. Kids will often eat as much as you serve them, even if they're not hungry, so don't serve too much.

4. I usually recommend that people stop going out to eat, but I must face the fact that many of us are still eating out in spite of hard economic times and unemployment. It's a fact. I saw a recent study that concluded that we are still spending the same amount of money going out to eat as we have in the last few years. Here are some suggestions to save if you are one of those people:

Split things when you go out to eat. I know a family who would buy their daughter a large milkshake in her favorite flavor when they went out. After 4-5 sips she didn't want any more, saying she didn't like it. For many kids, that often translates to "I'm full". They have their parents well trained because they know if they say, "I'm full," they won't get as big a size the next time. Even though they can't drink it, they still want a big one.

When I took my 7 and 8 year old nieces for a milkshake, we bought one small and I took an extra cup to split it. I sat and waited. If they wanted more I would have bought another one, but I never had to buy a second one. They were always full.

I know what you are thinking (don't you hate that I can read your mind?)-- "but Billy wants chocolate and Sally wants vanilla." Don't make excuses why you can't do something. Instead think of a way to make it work. Often, in this situation, I don't buy one for myself, but I'll get each one of them his or her own small one. Then I eat what is left of each of theirs and nothing is wasted. I do this even when we go out for fast food. One grandchild asked me again the other day why I never ordered anything. Before I could answer, the older one said "Because Nan always has to eat our leftovers," as if that was my assigned job in life and that is what Nanas do. ;-)

You may say, "but I want to get my own." I'm sorry, but you're the parent and, if you truly want to save, get out of debt or whatever, you are the one who needs to make the first and greatest sacrifice. We all want to get out of debt, but we usually don't want to sacrifice or change one thing to do it. It doesn't work that way. We often say, "This won't help me save money." but that really isn't the case. The truth is, we don't want to give up anything to get out of debt so we convince ourselves it won't work.

Forget the happy meals. Split a hamburger and fries between 3, 4, 5 or 6 year olds. I am giving general ages. You need to adapt these to your own children depending on their sizes. Your 6 year old may be as tall as 10 year old and plays outside all day or you may have a 10 year old who is small and sits in front of a computer all day. Each child needs to eat a different amount.

5. Don't automatically throw out uneaten food. If your child leaves half a glass of milk, put it in the fridge for him to drink later or use it the next morning in his cereal. If he leaves half a sandwich, put it in a bag for him to eat the next day or serve it later as a snack.
  6. Using a measuring cup and water, measure glasses and see how much they really hold.Don't guess at this. I have some large mug glasses and some small narrow glasses. I always assumed the small ones held less. Boy was I wrong. I thought the small ones were 8 oz. glasses, but they were 12 oz. glasses. You need to know how much your glasses hold so you can give your child the right portion of juice and milk.

Here are some facts:

• Juice contains about the same amount of calories as soda and is just about as bad on children's teeth.
    • 1-6 yr. olds should only be given 4-6 oz. of juice a day. That is equal to 1 sippy cup a day.
    • 7-12 yr. olds should only be given 8-12 oz. of juice a day. That is one small sized glass a day.
    • 1-3 yr. olds should be given two 8 oz. glasses of milk a day. The 4 ounces in a child's cereal or pudding is included in that. If kids have milk in cereal and pudding, they only need 1 glass of milk that day. Also, don't forget about the milk in cheese, yogurt, ice cream, etc.
    • 4-8 yr. olds should have three 8 oz. glasses of milk a day.
    • 9-18 yr. olds should have four 8 oz. glasses of milk a day. Again, don't forget about milk included in cheese, yogurt, ice cream, pudding, etc.

These numbers should make us stop and pause. Just one regular size glass of juice a day gives a young child almost twice what that child needs. So often I have seen moms and grandmas give kids as much juice as they want-- three, four or even more glasses per day. That is six to eight times or more than the child needs. Once nutrition needs are met, the rest is just adding extra calories. And we wonder why our kids are gaining weight, even when eating healthy.

7. Don't allow your kids to guzzle a glass of milk, juice or even water right before they eat. It fills them up and then they won't eat their food. Half the time, kids aren't picky eaters; They're just full before they even start to eat. Then they're hungry again before the table is cleared, because they filled up on liquid and not food.
  8. Put things like milk and juice into small, easy to pour pitchers. Sometimes a large jug of something is too hard even for an 8, 9, or 10 year old to pour and it gets away from them, causing them to pour more in their bowls or glasses than they intended.
  9. Watch the syrup. You may have to pour it for them until they are much older because it really seems to get out of control. Beware of the wide mouth syrup bottles. They are designed so that you use more syrup. Avoid them if possible.
  10. If your kids eat food with cinnamon sugar or regular sugar, put the sugar in a shaker with small holes. You can also cover over some of the holes on a shaker with larger holes with tape so that they can't dump it too quickly.
  11. Use small plates and glasses for everyone. The cereal bowls that come with most dishes now are ridiculously huge. Instead of holding 1/2 cup of cereal, they hold 2-3 cups and we think we need to fill them to the top. Using them makes it too easy to waste food and eat excessively.
  12. "What if my kids won't like any of these ideas?"Sorry, but that's too bad. Who is paying for the food? Who is running your home?

To ease things along it might help to have a family conference where you apologize to your kids for having taught them wrong so far and then tell them you are trying to change things. Ask for their suggestions and ideas. Make them feel that they are a part of this turn-around and explain that you need their help and ideas. When kids feel more a part of something, they tend to want to do it more.

♥Joyce♥
Deals & Steals - Group Owner
D&S Coupon Swappers - Group Owner
Join us on Smarter Living! - Group Mod 
Join us in M.O.M. Moments of Motherhood - Group Mod

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Cool, thanks.

divamommao
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Great Ideas. I do a few of them already.. and portions  giving them a small amount and then giving more if they would like it works wondefully.

lyrick24
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

i think that is a good idea. my daughter fixed the grandkids breakfast this morning and they left half of it, all but one who eats everything because he is just bigger but is not at all fat. hes muscular. it was so much waste. she fixed them blueberry pancakes, grapes, bananas, and yogurt. they left most of the pancake and the bananas and some of the yogurt. i have ask her why she buys the yougurt when the kids wont hardly eat it. i think she should have just given them the fruit and yougurt so they would eat what they have or the pancakes and a sausage link. well i didnt waste it though thats what the dog had for breakfast was the leftovers.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I agree with some of these

lillucky8
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Good tips
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lisa0626
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Interesting. These are good tips. I find that my dd will waste food, especially if I were to give her too much. But, other things would not fit with our family.

chiquis
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liansmommie
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I agree about the plates and bowl sizes. One of our cereal bowls will hold half a box of cereal.

aneela
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:30 PM

i always go for portion control...ALWAYS

JHanc968
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 3:38 PM

lol

Quoting Liansmommie:

I agree about the plates and bowl sizes. One of our cereal bowls will hold half a box of cereal.

♥Joyce♥
Deals & Steals - Group Owner
D&S Coupon Swappers - Group Owner
Join us on Smarter Living! - Group Mod 
Join us in M.O.M. Moments of Motherhood - Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)