Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Baby Number 2, 3 or 4

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

I know you remember. It wasn't that long ago for many of you. When baby number one came along, it was like nothing you never experienced--from pregnancy through childbirth, those first 6 weeks, and that first year. It's all a fantastic, wonderful, sometimes quite stressful experience. When number two comes along, you know what to expect, but that doesn't always mean you're ready for it.

My sister-in-law is about to have number 2. It's another girl, and my nieces will be just 20 months apart. We're having a "sprinkle" for her this weekend. Not an all-out shower, but a few close family members celebrating the imminent arrival of the latest bundle of joy.

Having two little girls in the house means she's going to need a few things right away, both big and small. A double stroller and new crib are two that top her list. She can still use her infant car seat, but will eventually need a new car seat as well. Even though she will have two girls, she's going to need some newborn clothes, too. Not many, but some.

Also, I'm not sure if this is true with everyone, but I used my daughter's bibs and burpees till they looked like rags--permanently yellow, and very worn. I would need new ones, and I'm guessing she will too. While I'm at it, I would also probably get new bottles, too.

Moms, what do you think she needs to stock up on for number 2? What kind of things did you get new, and what were you able to reuse?

by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilMissCupcake
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM

with number two i had everything from number one but when we had number 3 we had to buy all new everything because we had already gotten rid of everything from the other two 

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 3:12 AM

You will not use a double stroller because by then the eldest will be walking or want to walk mostly although I do recommend a sling.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Mar. 12, 2012 at 4:20 AM
My number two was a different gender and 6 years later so indeed everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamivon2
by Sandra on Mar. 12, 2012 at 5:22 AM

My kids are only 11 1/2months apart so I pretty much had everything still in the home..

proudmommy690
by Christa on Mar. 12, 2012 at 5:48 AM
with number 2 i pretty much needed everything, even though it was another girl...i had all my 1st borns stuff but when i left their father i left pretty much all of it behind. the only thing i didnt need was a carseat, i re-used my 1st dd's. diapers and wipes is definitely a must for being stocked up on....i wish i got more diapers and wipes with this newest baby (#3..shes 6wks). if bottle feeding, definitely new bottles or at least nipples if she already has bottles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ItsRainingBoys
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Diapers are always nice to get!! I have 3 boys and never had a baby sprinkle after the baby shower with #1, but I would have liked to get clothes as well. I like having each of my boys get some new clothes, just so they have their own "newborn outfit". I have a baby box keepsake for each of them and I put in one of their newborn outfits in. Every baby deserves something new. :) Of course, I'm sure your sister will be happy to get anything! 

mom2jessnky
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 7:02 AM

I had to re-purchase everything! I had my oldest and my DH swore left, right and center he was done, he only wanted one kid. Okay that was fine, I didn't have a strong opinion either way. So I got rid of everything (one of my neighbor's had a baby girl and wasn't too stable financially so she got it all).

Then 2 yrs later he wanted another one, so we had DD #2. He said he was done again, so I got him fixed. LOL. 

I didn't like the double stroller, way too bulky. I had a Sit n Stand which worked better. and I loved my Mei Tai carrier.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 7:48 AM

I never heard the term sprinke before, that is so funny!

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Mar. 12, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I saved everything from my first for when DH and I decide to go for #2. :)

I think the only thing I will need is maybe some diapers and bottles. :)

daerca574
by Danya on Mar. 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM

stock up on diapers,wipes, and necessities.  Onsies too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)