Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Make Baby's Gear Last Longer

Posted by   + Show Post

The longer I'm a mom, the smarter I'm getting. I might not be a domestic goddess, not even close, but I've picked up some good tricks along the way that can save money and make life a little easier. Here are two of my favorites:

Making baby goods last longer than their ‘shelf life', or giving baby items a second life, is one of my all-time favorite things to do. I almost make a game out of it: ‘How can I reuse this". When buying baby clothes, for example, I like to try to buy dresses that can turn into tunics/tops the older she gets. (Of course, buying one size up.) I'll layer them with long-sleeve t-shirts underneath, and she'll wear jeans or leggings. I also turn old clothes that she outgrows into pajamas, as long as they're not too tight.

When buying baby toys, I buy for older than she is, being wary of small choking hazards, of course. The reason is, she's happy playing with a box right now. The older she gets, the more things she'll find to do with her toys, instead of getting bored of them, which makes them last longer in the rotation. I found this to be especially true of things like this baby seat.

Hey moms, what do to make your child's things last longer?

by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Mar. 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I save all the clothes and expensive items :)

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Mar. 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Cut the feet off of footie jammies so they're summer jammies and last longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dusky_rose
by Sue on Mar. 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM

My son is 4, but I left the changing table in his bedroom and use it for a shelf to put his toys on.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

Liansmommie
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I used to trim the feet out on footsie jammies to make them last longer

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2012 at 12:17 PM
We rotate toys. Other than that...I hadn't thought of much I could do to make them last. Good ideas though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
critter_boo
by Sarah on Mar. 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM

nice ideas i cut off jeans to make shorts

HTMommy
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I do this with odd things, one of my all time favorites is that the reusable diaper wipe travel sizes. I have 2 styles, one is a full piece that opens up like a wallet, in that I put things that break easy like packets of crackers and crayons (we always have notepads and coloring books on us for the kids) in the other that has the center flap that opens I put in full size tissues. That way I get alot more than those portable packs that hold 5 tissues. AND for a mom with 3 little boys, I go through tissues like water during allergy season LOL

momkaribg
by Kari on Mar. 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM

We do this to.

Quoting amy7243:

We rotate toys....then they think they are new again :)

BeachMommy07
by on Mar. 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I make my own detergent and its very gentle on both my sons skin and his clothing. (;

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Great ideas!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN