Group Home

Smarter Home: Pack Away Those Winter Clothes

Posted by   + Show Post

Every first day of chilly weather in October, it goes like this:

Husband: Where are my gloves?

Me: Did you look in that box in the closet labeled "Winter clothes?"

Husband: Um, no.

And two minutes later, he emerges with his gloves in hand.

Ah, clothes storage. I'm a firm believer that the key to any home is storage. I'm a sticker for organization - and when you live in a 450-square-foot one-bedroom apartment, it is not only a nice thing, it's a necessity to have be organized, to have a place for everything to go. To say I am a tad obsessed with organization boxes and bins is an understatement. 

I've been known to snuggle with my label maker.

I love it whenever the seasons change purely for the fact it means I get to reorganize the closets. As we break out new wardrobe staples, organization does maximum duty. We change out the must-haves, swapping gloves and scarves with bathing suits and shorts...which means Mama gets to find a good place for everything to go. Goody for me!

What's my favorite organization tool to stash winter goods? I do like the plastic see-through bins and smushy underbed bags. The bonus there is you can see what's inside and locate items uber-fast if you have to...not sure why, per se, but always a nice option. Plus think about the underbed area -- what else are you using it for except hosting a family of dust bunnies?

Also on my fave list: garment covers for the closet. The ideal place for coats, the puffy ones, the parkas, the wool suits, whatever. They are protected, but also out of sight, leaving room for your cute new trench coat and that rain coat and windbreaker for chilly spring afternoons.

Share your favorite clothes storage tips!

ŠiStockphoto.com/skodonnell    

by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-45):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I store most winter stuff in the back of the closets

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Apr. 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM

We keep our house soo cool especially at night...that we usually let DS wear his thermals to bed. Seriously...we kick the air to about 68 at night :).

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Apr. 9, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Don't really have any. We seem to need our sweatshirts year round..We go camping and to the coast. So our winter coats get a mini break...

MissyB1011
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I was getting ready to store the winter stuff away, but we may get a light dusting of snow here in PA. I guess the winter stuff has to stay out just a little longer. GRRRRR!

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Apr. 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Neither do I lol.

Quoting mrswillie:

I really don't store my close seasonally.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690