Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: When Allergies Attack

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

Spring is here! The weather is warmer, flowers blooming, and you can't stop sneezing. I, like many people I know, have allergies. My eyes itch, my throat hurts, and I get congested every Spring. I have some friends who have it more seriously than I, and take a daily dose of allergy medicine when the weather begins to warm. And though I'm not to the point of medicating daily, there's a few things I can do to help alleviate symptoms.

Spring cleaning is a must, dust and pollen love collecting on surfaces such as carpets, floors, blinds, curtains, furniture, toys, and even stuffed animals. But if you're the one with the allergies, you might want to hire someone else to tackle the cleaning. Vacuuming and dusting, will at first, kick up the exact thing you're trying to get rid of, and temporarily worsen conditions before eliminating them.

Get an air purifier for your bedroom or your kids' rooms. Experts claim that HEPA air purifiers can help clean the air of certain allergens. (Tip: When you buy the purifier, buy an extra filter or two, so you have it on hand when you're ready to replace the old one.)

Some experts suggest taking a shower before you go to sleep. That way, you can clean off the pollen and allergens that are in your hair and on your skin; and the steam may actually relieve some of the symptoms and make you feel better.

How do you deal with allergy season?

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Zyrtec!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RutterMama
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM

meds, meds & more meds!

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Olbis oil
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Quoting RutterMama:

meds, meds & more meds!

proudmommy690
by Christa on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:09 AM

actually my allergies arent really bad...some times i sneeze but its not enough to make me need allergy meds. my kids dont have allergies. it effects df the most lol

mcginnisc
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:11 AM

allergy shots.. I'm allergic to the entire state of GA as well as my house. LOL

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

_brownie
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I don't care for it.  I have typical symptoms but DH & DS have developed flu like symptoms at times.  DH & I use Zyertec and fluticasone. DS uses Zyertec...but will need to see an allergist.  It will be a fight to the death to get DH to go plain 

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM

There is a vendor at our local market that sells honey meant to help fight off your allergies. Just by ingestion. I dotn have allergies, so I dont know if it works...but it tastes great !

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I don't get them real bad but sudafed

Rushn311
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Zyrtec for sure!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN