Group Home

Smarter Fashion: Bright Colors: A Hit or Miss?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

I live in NYC. By that statement, well, you may assume that I don't wear a lot of color. I enjoy my all black or black and grey or grey and white or all grey ensembles...you picking up on a pattern? As I have heard people say (more than once), "New Yorkers will wear black...until someone comes up with something darker." It's funny because it's true.

I admit it. But even I, this color-avoiding New Yorker, get swayed when I see those pretty new spring colors in the store windows. Those pops of happiness in color form after the months of winter cold make this mama think, "Hmm, maybe I should get something in bright coral!"

But, an element to NYC living is the high cost of everything, which means this mama is wearing all black and on a strict budget. I have to think about how often will I wear a bright coral or sunshine yellow dress...not too much, and definitely not so many times that it warrants paying a lot of moolah for it. And ladies, I know that isn't the case just in New York.

Everyone is watching the budget these days, and that is why, if I ever do opt for something in color, especially the trendy colors, I do it the way many fashion pros suggest (my all time favorite fashion guru: Tim Gunn). I do it in small ways. Think of getting accessories to punch up the color. A piece of jewelry (like this bracelet from Mango) in the Color Du Jour or a scarf or a handbag (again, digging this bright yellow one, again from Magno). Or, if you do opt for a top like this sassy one from KMart (notice the yellow is trimmed with my favorite shade of grey?), keep the rest basic and neutral, like with dark jeans and a navy blazer.

What color are you eyeing for spring? How do you work bright colors into your look? Share your pics of bright color hits!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ZoneCreative

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bether89
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I try to add a splash of color by buying a shirt or blouse to go with outfits I already own.

powow65
by kimmy on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM

i only see green ALOT on ST. Patty's day. (i'd like to see more green.)

Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:02 AM
I like bright colors!
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:16 AM

eh, I live in Florida so bright colors are usually a staple in our wardrobes but I do prefer darker colors but I do love RED!

amy7243
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:34 AM
Lime green is my color that I have been eyeing this season.
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:39 AM

I love splashes of color, preferably on top and in accessories. Lime green and turquoise are what I'm looking at this year.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:09 AM

I like them especially pink

mamivon2
by Sandra on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I like purple or green. but I dont really wear it

momma-flynn
by Greta on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I like color, but I'm not fond of the super bright neon clothes.  

momma-flynn
by Greta on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Quoting powow65:

i only see green ALOT on ST. Patty's day. (i'd like to see more green.)

I just bought a beautiful green dress to wear to my brother's wedding this weekend. I love green.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80