Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: Three Things To Do Now For A Beach-Ready Body

Posted by   + Show Post

I see them too. In catalogs, in the store windows, in those ads that pop into my email box...swimsuits. Anyone else have a little shudder thinking about getting into yours in a few weeks? Now, I'm not one to go down that "You have to be stick thin" road or "Crazy diet" lane, but I am a huge fan of healthy living and feeling good. However, winter month after winter month of not moving as much as I should have has me feeling a little flabby and just not as healthy as I want to be...which just doesn't make donning that one-piece any more appealing.

I've narrowed down three things I'm going to do in the next few months before I make a trek to the pool or the beach. You try them to, and I bet we will all feel a little bit better as we dig our toes in the sand.

-- Drink more water.  This is good no matter what time of year. I know I don't drink enough water and it helps so many things -- makes your skin glow, helps those vital organs run properly, and yes, often when I think I am hungry and find myself reaching for a handful of Frosted Animal Crackers (yum), I'm actually thirsty and should be reaching for some H2O. I'm getting one of these reusable bottles to keep in the tote bag, handy and at the ready.

-- Find something active you love to do. It could be Zumba (at the gym, on the Wii, or on a DVD), could be a daily walk, could be playing tennis. Whatever it is, discovering that fun thing to keep you active is essential...that way, exercise doesn't seem like a chore.

-- Lift weights while you watch TV. Get a pair of small weights and keep them in the living room, by the couch. When you are watching American Idol or even while the kids are checking out the latest Wild Kratts or Doc McStuffins, do some arm exercises with weights. Yes, it makes those triceps look better, but lifting weights and building muscle tone also helps us ladies keep osteoporosis at bay.

What are you doing these days to get in shape? Share your little hints here!

©iStockphoto.com/DonNichols 

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-27):
slw123
by Shawna on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Oh and drink ice water because your body has to work harder to raise your body temperature and you burn extra calories.

critter_boo
by Sarah on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Great tips
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I rode my bike one day this week.  I am going to try to ride more often.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:55 PM

well i've been walking allot more.  the kids & i have been trying to walk home from school a few times a week.  i'd like to do it 4 days every week (daughter has violin one day & can't have her walk home with the violin, her stand & music books), right now we've been doing it 2-4 days.  it's about 1.5 miles.  so it's not too shabby of a hike. 

the kids are already planning on walking allot more this summer.  we have yogurt shops, jumpy places, playgrounds, shopping all within 2miles.  very ambitious for 4 & 8 year olds but the idea of walking to get donuts or yogurt is very appealing to them!

i have hand wieghts & may start adding them to my tv watching, but lately i haven't been doing much of that so.....  was thinking of getting ankle weights though for our walks home.

i already drink lots of water so that's not an issue.

alliesmom112
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:30 PM

great tips. I am alternating between Zumba for Wii and Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatium and increasing my water in take.

LilMissCupcake
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 10:34 PM
:)
RyansMommie07
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:42 AM

dont forget all the spring fruits and veggies that are back in season : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)