Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Forecasters warn of life-threatening storms ((To all those who live in the MIDWEST))

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:59 AM
  • 17 Replies

Forecasters warn of life-threatening storms

By Ron Recinto | The Lookout - 9 hrs ago

http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/thelookout/weather.jpgA severe thunder storm supercell moves above the ground near the small town of Stratton, Nebraska April 12, 2012. ...

In an unusual move, national weather forecasters have issued an early warning that conditions are ripe for violent tornadoes to rip through the Midwest this weekend.

According to a story by the Associated Press, the expected weekend storms will stretch from Texas to Minnesota and could be a "high-end, life threatening event."

On Friday, a tornado was seen near the University of Oklahoma campus in Norman just after 4 p.m. local time, according to a local television station. There were no reported injuries.

This is only the second time in history that the Storm Prediction Center issued a high-risk warning more than 24 hours in advance, Russ Schneider, director of the center told the AP.

The worst weather is expected to develop late Saturday afternoon between Oklahoma City and Salina, Kan., Other areas also could see severe storms with baseball-sized hail and winds of up to 70 mph, forecasters told the AP.

The warning issued Friday covers parts of Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas.

The Storm Prediction Center advises residents in those areas should be aware of warnings and alerts and seek shelter in a safe place should severe weather hit.

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crabbyD
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:58 AM
I heard that on the news yesterday. It's terrifying. I live in Chicago, but drove to orlando last month. We drove through indiana by henryville where there was a devastating tornado early in march.... I was speechless and couldn't fathom that type of destruction happening in our community. Very sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momkaribg
by Kari on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Be Safe everyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Stay safe and heed the warnings! Even if you think they're over-doing it, be safe and be alert!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommee42boyz
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:14 AM
For sure!

Quoting beadingmom17:

Stay safe and heed the warnings! Even if you think they're over-doing it, be safe and be alert!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:15 AM
I hope we are going to be ok in Michigan, I promised the kids a zoo trip today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:17 AM
Which zoo? Detroit? We're supposed to have rain in the area today...I'm praying it holds off til the afternoon...my oldest has her first soccer game today and I don't feel like being drenched, lol!

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM
It's suppose to start here in Omaha by 9 or 10 today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I think we are going to drive to lansing. I'm desperate to get out of my area for a day, kwim?

Quoting beadingmom17:

Which zoo? Detroit? We're supposed to have rain in the area today...I'm praying it holds off til the afternoon...my oldest has her first soccer game today and I don't feel like being drenched, lol!

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:20 AM
I have fam in nebraska :( they have never been hit in like 50+ years I hope it doesnt start now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
koolkidsmom
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Prayers going out to those in that area.  keep safe ladies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN