Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you plan for expensive personal purchases?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:33 AM
  • 88 Replies
There are a few things that I am really salivating over at the moment. I am in love with this LV purse, for $1,500. I also really want a pair of cowboy boots. The pair I am looking at is about $500.

Even though I could just go and get them, I never do. I always make it a point to *save* for the item. I have a big pickle jar that I put all of my change and spare $1 and $5 bills into. When I have reached the amount that I need, I treat myself to what I want. With th LV purse, dh has said that when I have saved half of the money, he will give me the other half.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
critter_boo
by Sarah on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Good for you I never really want anything expensive
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Nothing? Not one single thing?

OK, how did you save for your car? Did you have a method?

Quoting critter_boo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
critter_boo
by Sarah on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't buy my car it was inherited the other car was bought with an insurance claim the car before was a gift from Fil to help us out

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

Nothing? Not one single thing?

OK, how did you save for your car? Did you have a method?

Quoting critter_boo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
critter_boo
by Sarah on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I do however do the change jar thing for trips
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
roxxyt
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Don't do expensive on silly stuff, although I have the money for them, I don't think it's necessary and who do i need to impress, no one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM
I wasn't suggesting that you needed to impress anyone. I was simply asking if there was something you wanted that was a bit pricey, how you would save for it.

I think that wanting something, and then saving for it instead of going right out and purchasing it, is great. There have been many times that I saved, saved, saved.... only to realize that I didn't want the item after all.

Quoting roxxyt:

Don't do expensive on silly stuff, although I have the money for them, I don't think it's necessary and who do i need to impress, no one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

We usually figure out what we want to get and save the money. My husband is doing a project right now and is paying for it all by working over time at work.  Or we will cut back on other things to get it, we do a lot of big purchases at tax time. We figure out what we want or need to get and budget it in. We don't really buy much expensive things, our second car that we bought for my husband to get back and forth to work cost us as much as the purse you want to buy

Rain2Rinse
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Are you saving for a trip right now?

The problem that I encounter is, because I am always saving for DD, I never know when I should put it in my jar or her jar!

Quoting critter_boo:

I do however do the change jar thing for trips
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Is he doing a home improvement project?

When I am saving for a specific thing, it makes me all giddy like a little kid. I have this sense of accomplishment. I pour all of the money out on the bed, and count it. It's really lame. Lol!

Quoting othermom:

We usually figure out what we want to get and save the money. My husband is doing a project right now and is paying for it all by working over time at work.  Or we will cut back on other things to get it, we do a lot of big purchases at tax time. We figure out what we want or need to get and budget it in. We don't really buy much expensive things, our second car that we bought for my husband to get back and forth to work cost us as much as the purse you want to buy

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
roxxyt
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:11 AM
I have done the same, save and change my mind, like you we have a change jug, it paid for a trip to sea world for all seven kids one year, it paid for our whole Christmas 2 yrs ago. It's getting really full again, not sure what we will do with it this time. Sorry if I offended, I guess my practical side comes out.

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

I wasn't suggesting that you needed to impress anyone. I was simply asking if there was something you wanted that was a bit pricey, how you would save for it.

I think that wanting something, and then saving for it instead of going right out and purchasing it, is great. There have been many times that I saved, saved, saved.... only to realize that I didn't want the item after all.

Quoting roxxyt:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN