Smarter Mom: Clean Your Room!

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

Cleaning my room was never a favorite chore when I was younger; I'm not a huge fan of it now either. Growing up I can remember countless fights between my mom and I over the state of my room. It wasn't dirty, it was just messy. This problem seems to affect kids of all ages, so, how do you get your kids to keep their rooms clean?

One easy step to take is to make sure there's a place for everything. Low book shelves, toy boxes, and storage bins that kids can toss things in makes clean up easier. Label everything, too. It won't be so hard for them to clean up when they know all stuffed animals go in the green bucket and coloring books go in the red basket. Better yet have them help you make labels to better keep track.

Another great idea I heard from one mom was to make it a fun activity. She reads from a book, while the kids clean up. Once the book is over the kids are done, but as soon as the kids stop cleaning to listen to the story, she stops reading. This would work with older kids better than young ones who want to see pictures and turn pages.

Another mom admits that her daughter started cleaning her room more once she lowered her own expectations and stopped expecting perfection. It's better to have a mostly clean room than pick a fight with her over a less than perfectly made bed.

How do you keep your kids' rooms clean?

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:11 AM
DS plays in the living room we do the clean up song and make a game out of it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Apr. 16, 2012 at 7:52 AM

My kids are older.  They keep them clean.

2and2onway
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Great ideas, thank you for sharing.

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:17 AM

It only takes about 15 minutes to clean up DS's toys and such, so I do try to get him to help but I am not worried about it too much for right now.

fraujones
by Amanda on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Book shelves and storage bins are a must. We also donate toys to the thrift store frequently. DD is good about giving old toys away. 

amy7243
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Great ideas!!! My kids are so messy. My oldest always helps with the younger kids rooms.

powow65
by kimmy on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM

i make my DD clean up, (she's a big girl!)

proudmommy690
Moving...Hate moving! But can't wait to!!
Friday at 3:26 PM
by Christa on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:54 AM

because of where we live my kids are only in their room to sleep (they dont have room for their toys) its very hard to keep a clean room with 5+ peoples stuff in just our room. i gave up...i can not wait to have my own place!! lol

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM

my son, 5, is usually very helpful if I am with him and help to guide him with what needs to be done in his room...he helps put up his own laundry and pick up any toys

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I bribe them. If they clean their room they get their choice of a 10.00 toy. Some weeks it works and others it don't. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: