Group Home

Smarter Home: Plants That Clean The Air

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 44 Replies

Having fresh plants in a room don't only liven and brighten up a room, they can help keep indoor air clean. Put a few of these plants in planters and pots around your home, and you'll combat gross toxins, which can come from a number of things like printer ink, wood veneer, stains, paint, and even that new rug you recently put down. The best part, besides cleaner air, is that you don't even need a green thumb. The following three house plants are low-maintenance.

English ivy is low maintenance and can easily survive on low sunlight and little water. It is said to combat formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is a prevalent home toxin, that you don’t hear of too often, but is found all too frequently in people’s homes. It’s used to manufacture some furniture made of wood veneers, glues, synthetic rug dyes, and even in flooring and cabinetry.

The Boston Fern isn't as low maintenance as English ivy, but easily maintainable. This plant requires more humidity and moisture to survive. It also combats formaldehyde, and the ink emissions from your printer.

Keep in light, but not direct light, and keep soil moist, but not saturated. This palm can grow to be large, and combats formaldyhyde, carbon monoxide, and benzene. (This looks great in a study or living room setting.)

Do you enjoy gardening, indoors or out? What's your favorite thing to grow? 

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:27 AM

I love looking at all the pretty flowers my DH plants.   He is a much better gardener than I am.  We love growing our rose bush and veggies in our garden.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:41 AM

We do not have any plants =(

powow65
by kimmy on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:52 AM

i have a aloe plant next to my fish tank (so it'll get light).

but really indoor's i fail@ my "green thumb".

amy7243
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I am so excited to do our landscaping this year. We have a blank slate. (we just built last year) We are going to a tree auction on the 28th. I do love having live plants in the house too!

tayanddyl
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm learning to garden.  My 9 year old is teaching me :)

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Do dead plants help anything? Cuz that's what happens to any poor plant that comes home with me.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I love veggies and anything with a flower....Brian and I are waiting til Sarah gets a little older (she's 5) before we spend alot of money on inside plants...I really want a banana tree again...

fraujones
by Amanda on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I like gardening, but I don't think I have a green thumb. I have good luck with green beans and peas. 

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I didnt know about these...thanks !

I am a forced closet gardener...my cats eat plants and I have no yard. :(

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I do enjoy gardening and love flowers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky