Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Cooking With Kids

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies

My post Tuesday about Kmart's new line of kitchen stuff and dinnerware from cooking show hostess Sandra Lee  made me think about cooking shows in general and what a big part of our lives they've become. Our moms had Julia Child....we have shows for every possible type of cuisine and style of cooking.

I pretty much learned to cook from Nigella Lawson and Alton Brown, with a good dose of America's Test Kitchen thrown in. Both my parents are good cooks, but neither were too interested in passing on their knowledge. I've turned into a pretty good cook, or as my daughter calls me "best cooker ever."

So now that my kids are old enough, I'm letting them help me in the kitchen as much as they can. Giving them the ability to cook for themselves is really important... it will keep them from relying on processed foods to feed themselves when they are adults...and all the health and budget consequences that can bring.

When kids are little, they can stir something, dump in pre-measured ingredients, or toss a salad. When they are older, they can do pretty much everything that doesn't involve knives or heat. My 7-year old has made bread, pancakes and muffins pretty much by herself.

If you're new to cooking with your kids, baking is a good thing to start with because it's pretty much measure, dump, and mix...and kids really like eating whatever treats you create together! As they progress, it can be harder to let them do more because they can make a major mess or a mega-mistake that messes up dinner. What I try to do is relax my "control freak" muscles and let them learn. After all...someday they might be the ones making me breakfast on a Saturday morning!

Do you cook with your kids? What are your favorite things to make with them?

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

My DS loves to cook while I'm making dinner cereal soup with a splash of waffle for seasoning!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thehickinhickor
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:06 AM
she loves to cook her fav is pancakes or cakes or cupcakes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I hardly cook with them. But if I bake, they help me pour stuff.

Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:33 AM
I do sometimes
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:21 AM

I started cooking wih my kids when they were young.  They would pull the lettuce apart for a salad.

tayanddyl
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I cook with my kids all the time.  My son is now old enough to cook alone (as long as I am home with him)

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:26 AM

My kids love to help with cooking and baking. We like making cookies or brownies. They love to crack the eggs and I remember how cool I felt when I was little and my mom let me do that part lol.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I grew up helping in the kitchen & dd is the same way. I love to cook & she loves to help.  

fraujones
by Amanda on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter and I love to bake together. Here's a pic of her making sugar cookies last year:

wandep
by Pam on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Sometimes, our kitchen isn't very big.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)