Group Home

Smarter Style: Sneaky Style Slips That Make You Look Old

Posted by   + Show Post

Remember when you were in high school and loved it if someone thought you were in college, or even older? Yeah, those days are gone. Now, I've practically kissed cashiers at Trader Joe's for asking to see ID when I buy my bottle of Three-Buck Chuck.

Surprisingly, there are lots of little things we may not even know we're doing that makes us look older than we are. 

Makeup: You might think spackling on the foundation is going to cover over all those lines and imperfections and make you look younger....add some sexy dark lipstick, some black eyeliner, and voila....hottie! Wrong. Heavy makeup is going to make you look worse while a natural, light touch with foundation is going to make you look younger. I personally have to give mineral makeup a shout-out. It doesn't make you look like you're wearing makeup, it makes you look like you have great skin...and great, glowing, young skin at that. Dark lipstick can bleed into those little cracks around your lips we all get as we age, giving you the dread old-lady clown mouth. Go with a light, pinkish gloss on your lips, use a light hand with the liner, and use a primer under your mineral powder, which smooths your skin and makes the makeup last longer.

Hair: Thinning hair is an instant ager, as are gray roots (which, if you're pale like me, LOOK like thinning hair from a distance). Keep up with your root touch-ups (those $5 kits they sell in stores are miraculous) and ask your doctor if you find your ponytail is thinner or your part is getting wider. It could be a sign of an easily corrected hormone imbalance.

Clothes: It's all about balance....not trying too hard or trying too little. Don't shop in the juniors department, but don't be afraid to try trends, accessorize, and use color. Go too far in one direction, you look pathetic, if you go too far in the other, you look frumpy. And no matter what, make sure whatever you're wearing fits really well. 

Are you worried about aging? What are your main concerns?

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
powow65
by kimmy on Apr. 20, 2012 at 4:43 PM
nope, i dont worry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jerichos_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I am a little

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Apr. 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM
I'm not too worried but I'm still young. I do as much preventative as I can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Auntie77
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I have always wanted to age gracefully.  

One rule that I have adhered to is "if you have worn a trend once, you are too old to wear it again."   I wore the mini skirts in my teens and early 20s.  didn't wear them in my 40s, but advised my nieces on how to wear them.  Certainly not wearing them now.....in my 60s.   

Nothing looks worse than a mother trying to dress like her daughter's trendy styles.  

fraujones
by Amanda on Apr. 21, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I'm 33. I look pretty tired some days. I have under eye circles that are pretty hard to cover up. 

Pherlyce
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I want people to see me in my age, I am going 46 and everytime I go out with my husband they think I am his daughter, or going out with my kids and they think I am their sister or a friend.shrugging

lyrick24
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 9:00 AM

wrinkles in my face although i am 46 almost 47 and dont have any yet.

Godspitgrl
by Nychole on Apr. 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

I'm not worried!!!  It's going to happen whether you want it to or not.

Yep yep
dusky_rose
by Sue on Apr. 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM

At 47, I think age is creeping up a little. I don't wear makeup though and try to dress nice, so when I was at the doctor's office the other day the PA ask me if I was really 47. She said I look more like 36, which was nice to hear for a change.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I think clothes that are tight make you look old. Clothes that just skim the body are youthful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie