Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Sneaky Style Slips That Make You Look Old

Posted by   + Show Post

Remember when you were in high school and loved it if someone thought you were in college, or even older? Yeah, those days are gone. Now, I've practically kissed cashiers at Trader Joe's for asking to see ID when I buy my bottle of Three-Buck Chuck.

Surprisingly, there are lots of little things we may not even know we're doing that makes us look older than we are. 

Makeup: You might think spackling on the foundation is going to cover over all those lines and imperfections and make you look younger....add some sexy dark lipstick, some black eyeliner, and voila....hottie! Wrong. Heavy makeup is going to make you look worse while a natural, light touch with foundation is going to make you look younger. I personally have to give mineral makeup a shout-out. It doesn't make you look like you're wearing makeup, it makes you look like you have great skin...and great, glowing, young skin at that. Dark lipstick can bleed into those little cracks around your lips we all get as we age, giving you the dread old-lady clown mouth. Go with a light, pinkish gloss on your lips, use a light hand with the liner, and use a primer under your mineral powder, which smooths your skin and makes the makeup last longer.

Hair: Thinning hair is an instant ager, as are gray roots (which, if you're pale like me, LOOK like thinning hair from a distance). Keep up with your root touch-ups (those $5 kits they sell in stores are miraculous) and ask your doctor if you find your ponytail is thinner or your part is getting wider. It could be a sign of an easily corrected hormone imbalance.

Clothes: It's all about balance....not trying too hard or trying too little. Don't shop in the juniors department, but don't be afraid to try trends, accessorize, and use color. Go too far in one direction, you look pathetic, if you go too far in the other, you look frumpy. And no matter what, make sure whatever you're wearing fits really well. 

Are you worried about aging? What are your main concerns?

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
maxswolfsuit
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM

It's starting to creep up on me. I see some of my friends making mistakes so I try to avoid the same ones. 

Saille717
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM
I don't really worry about aging. I've never had a heavy hand with makeup as I've got good skin, and thankfully no grays yet. Clothes are a challenge, but I find that as I get healthier and tone up I'm liking more trendy clothes. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandapanda21
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I'm only 25 so I'm not too worried yet..but my style has just gone really south.  I have been so caught up with my babies and wanting them to be "in style" that I haven't really gotten myself anything in a very long time!

tayanddyl
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Aging is not what worries me, its all this weight that bothers me. I hate it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malexander2009
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM
I am still really not worried about ageing. !ut then again - really don't know many 25 year olds who are
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
koolkidsmom
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Also black black hair makes you look a lot older.

koolkidsmom
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Also agree with u about the dark red lipstick.

lasombrs
by Sara on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM
nope i am 28 and most people mistake me for a high schooler :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moms_Angels1960
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Not worried at all.

kast03
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I hate that I'm aging...I'm over 45 and starting to head very close to 50 and I feel that I'm starting to look that age too.  I have a 10 yr old and feel like an old fuddy duddy some days.  I have switched to color tinted moisturizers for my face to keep it fresher looking and almost never wear lip stick (I actually like tinted chap sticks) I'm fortunate where my hair is concerned because I have a full head of it and it only has a few strands of gray here and there so I don't have to color my hair yet.  I try to eat healthy too to keep myself in shape.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)