Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Sneaky Style Slips That Make You Look Old

Posted by   + Show Post

Remember when you were in high school and loved it if someone thought you were in college, or even older? Yeah, those days are gone. Now, I've practically kissed cashiers at Trader Joe's for asking to see ID when I buy my bottle of Three-Buck Chuck.

Surprisingly, there are lots of little things we may not even know we're doing that makes us look older than we are. 

Makeup: You might think spackling on the foundation is going to cover over all those lines and imperfections and make you look younger....add some sexy dark lipstick, some black eyeliner, and voila....hottie! Wrong. Heavy makeup is going to make you look worse while a natural, light touch with foundation is going to make you look younger. I personally have to give mineral makeup a shout-out. It doesn't make you look like you're wearing makeup, it makes you look like you have great skin...and great, glowing, young skin at that. Dark lipstick can bleed into those little cracks around your lips we all get as we age, giving you the dread old-lady clown mouth. Go with a light, pinkish gloss on your lips, use a light hand with the liner, and use a primer under your mineral powder, which smooths your skin and makes the makeup last longer.

Hair: Thinning hair is an instant ager, as are gray roots (which, if you're pale like me, LOOK like thinning hair from a distance). Keep up with your root touch-ups (those $5 kits they sell in stores are miraculous) and ask your doctor if you find your ponytail is thinner or your part is getting wider. It could be a sign of an easily corrected hormone imbalance.

Clothes: It's all about balance....not trying too hard or trying too little. Don't shop in the juniors department, but don't be afraid to try trends, accessorize, and use color. Go too far in one direction, you look pathetic, if you go too far in the other, you look frumpy. And no matter what, make sure whatever you're wearing fits really well. 

Are you worried about aging? What are your main concerns?

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-60):
Rajel
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Hi,

Thanks for posting very good. My main concern is wrinkles is my forehead and my cheeks. Im a water drinker.Those products outhere seems not to help much, Is there any natural homemade mixture you know for dry skin face? Thanks

xo.MommyW.xo
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Im only 26 i can still shop juniors lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom27g
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I'm worried about it, but I am healthier than I have ever been. So I'm okay with myself :)

bether89
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I don't worry about getting older all that much.  I mostly about not getting older.

slw123
by Shawna on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I'm not overly concerned about aging.

saraface5383
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM
im 24, so i am good for right now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I'm not afraid of aging..But I do like to look nice for my dh and girls..A couple weeks ago my dd's friends asked her if I was HER SISTER...She's like NO that's MY MOM.. They were like don't take this the wrong way but your mom is HOT...lol...Cassie was proud and it was a day I had NO MAKEUP on and my hair up in a ponytail...lol

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I'm 26 and I look like I'm 16 lol. If anything I think gray hair will be an issue because my mom hair a lot of gray and my grandfather was fully gray in his early 20's. I have found one here and there over the years, but it hasn't been a problem yet *knock on wood* lol. 

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:10 PM

lol not worried.

Mommee42boyz
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:46 PM
I'm not worried and I definitely do not wear make-up every day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)