Group Home

Smarter Style: Sneaky Style Slips That Make You Look Old

Posted by   + Show Post

Remember when you were in high school and loved it if someone thought you were in college, or even older? Yeah, those days are gone. Now, I've practically kissed cashiers at Trader Joe's for asking to see ID when I buy my bottle of Three-Buck Chuck.

Surprisingly, there are lots of little things we may not even know we're doing that makes us look older than we are. 

Makeup: You might think spackling on the foundation is going to cover over all those lines and imperfections and make you look younger....add some sexy dark lipstick, some black eyeliner, and voila....hottie! Wrong. Heavy makeup is going to make you look worse while a natural, light touch with foundation is going to make you look younger. I personally have to give mineral makeup a shout-out. It doesn't make you look like you're wearing makeup, it makes you look like you have great skin...and great, glowing, young skin at that. Dark lipstick can bleed into those little cracks around your lips we all get as we age, giving you the dread old-lady clown mouth. Go with a light, pinkish gloss on your lips, use a light hand with the liner, and use a primer under your mineral powder, which smooths your skin and makes the makeup last longer.

Hair: Thinning hair is an instant ager, as are gray roots (which, if you're pale like me, LOOK like thinning hair from a distance). Keep up with your root touch-ups (those $5 kits they sell in stores are miraculous) and ask your doctor if you find your ponytail is thinner or your part is getting wider. It could be a sign of an easily corrected hormone imbalance.

Clothes: It's all about balance....not trying too hard or trying too little. Don't shop in the juniors department, but don't be afraid to try trends, accessorize, and use color. Go too far in one direction, you look pathetic, if you go too far in the other, you look frumpy. And no matter what, make sure whatever you're wearing fits really well. 

Are you worried about aging? What are your main concerns?

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-70):
chiquis
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Actually I'm not worried lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:36 AM
I rarely wear makeup. People do think I'm younger than I am...knocking.on wood, it lasts!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetpea1269
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Junior jeans are the only ones that fit me right! I try to go as plain as possible tho.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jerzeetomato
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I'm not worried about aging, but I never know what to buy to wear.  I think I need a personal shopper! lol

Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 5:39 PM
I am! I'll be 30 in December...and I feel like I'm starting to look old! :-(
thanush
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM
I'm 29 and I've been asked TWICE from random sales people, if my parents are home. Should I consider it a compliment? Don't think so lol but at the same time I feel I'm starting to look old. :(
I make it my mission to buy older looking cloths and stick to places like loft, Boston proper etc
thanush
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Awwww.... 30s are the new 20s.
A group of guys my husband work with wasn't allowed to go alone in a boat in the lake of orzarks, since none were older than 29. Lol so I comfort my self thinking 20 s are still too young, 30s are the new 20s.
Ps: I'm 29 too and will be 30 this September.
Quoting Kainalu55:I am! I'll be 30 in December...and I feel like I'm starting to look old! :-(
wandep
by Pam on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Not really worried.

RobinChristine
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:17 AM

I am 48 and embrace myself. I do color my hair i started turning grey at 16 as did my mom. My son is now 1`6 and I can see his starting. I am also more confident,I am plus size and things I would not wear in my 20's I am now wearing and looking good.

elijahsmama09
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Not really...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690