Group Home

Smarter Home: Spring Showers Bring Muddy Shoes

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 45 Replies

My kiddo loves her Hello Kitty rain boots and actually looks forward to trekking through the NYC streets when it is rainy -- just to jump in the puddles. It is April...and let's say it together: April showers bring May flowers. What it leaves out is that it also brings those muddy tracks on the floor. Watching your kids jump in puddles and spy on the worms in the garden as they get a much-needed bath is one of those precious moments, but the after part, getting off those dirty boots and rain gear is, well, annoying.

Which is why the home décor gods made the mudroom. Some of you may have an actual room, others of us may just have an area in the garage or by the backdoor where everyone dumps their boots and shoes and backpacks.

The main thing about this area? Organization. You all know I am a sucker for organizational goodies. I love trays that tell the kids "Stop! Do not pass go! Put your nasty boots HERE!" -- this one is basic and then you can have ones that looks a little more interesting.

The best organization makes the area work for you....not just to keep the floors clean, but to look cool too. Imagine a hook and a cubby for each kiddo and that husband, or a bench with cubbies underneath for umbrellas and gloves and scarfs -- both are great. Also, I love this idea: try adding some inspiring quotes on the wall. Words to subtly remind them of good positives as they go off and come back from their days. Pump up that room's potential and when those muddy prints do make their way onto the rug, it won't seem as bad. Really.

Do you have a mudroom or area? How do you control the muddy clutter?

©iStockphoto.com/lightguard

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Right now, no. We just have a mess. But we're building a mud type space into our new house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 5:34 AM

We don't have a mudroom and my family for sure loves to track in the mud.  I am trying to train them though to take their shoes off at the back door if they have mud on them, so far I am failing miserably.  LOL

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:03 AM

We live in the mountains, in the woods on a dirty road.  Our home has no wall to wall carpet.  We have a shoe basket by the front door.

nlonnon
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:07 AM
We have a screened in.back porch that acts as our mud room. Thank goodness!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
backroadsmom
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Muddy clutter is a tough one and most of us aren't blessed with mudrooms.  Ideally I'd have a nice storage bench... but I don't, so it's sweep, sweep, sweep, mop, mop, mop... bend, bend, bend ... ((sigh))

sweeping

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:18 AM

My dogs are more of mud trackers then my son. I taught them both as puppies, to wipe their "feet" when they come in the house. I set down a towel and they will walk around on it...it's so funny! lol!

millerbunch
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:23 PM

we do not have a mud room.. but if they come in through the back door the laundry is right off of there.. if they come in the front door, there is enough space to take off shoes on the tile part in front of the door so i can just clean up easily.

millerbunch
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:25 PM

ha!  that's cute :)

Quoting ceciliam:

My dogs are more of mud trackers then my son. I taught them both as puppies, to wipe their "feet" when they come in the house. I set down a towel and they will walk around on it...it's so funny! lol!

fraujones
by Amanda on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM

We have a bit of tile near the entrance where people take their shoes off. 

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Yes we do. We have an enclosed porch that we come in and we take our shoes off there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie