Smarter Home: Spring Showers Bring Muddy Shoes

Posted by   + Show Post

My kiddo loves her Hello Kitty rain boots and actually looks forward to trekking through the NYC streets when it is rainy -- just to jump in the puddles. It is April...and let's say it together: April showers bring May flowers. What it leaves out is that it also brings those muddy tracks on the floor. Watching your kids jump in puddles and spy on the worms in the garden as they get a much-needed bath is one of those precious moments, but the after part, getting off those dirty boots and rain gear is, well, annoying.

Which is why the home décor gods made the mudroom. Some of you may have an actual room, others of us may just have an area in the garage or by the backdoor where everyone dumps their boots and shoes and backpacks.

The main thing about this area? Organization. You all know I am a sucker for organizational goodies. I love trays that tell the kids "Stop! Do not pass go! Put your nasty boots HERE!" -- this one is basic and then you can have ones that looks a little more interesting.

The best organization makes the area work for you....not just to keep the floors clean, but to look cool too. Imagine a hook and a cubby for each kiddo and that husband, or a bench with cubbies underneath for umbrellas and gloves and scarfs -- both are great. Also, I love this idea: try adding some inspiring quotes on the wall. Words to subtly remind them of good positives as they go off and come back from their days. Pump up that room's potential and when those muddy prints do make their way onto the rug, it won't seem as bad. Really.

Do you have a mudroom or area? How do you control the muddy clutter?

©iStockphoto.com/lightguard

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
momkaribg
by Kari on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:07 PM

No we dont.

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM

We dont have a mudroom....nor do we have the need for one. Unfortunately.

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

We don't have a mudroom and my family for sure loves to track in the mud.  I am trying to train them though to take their shoes off at the back door if they have mud on them, so far I am failing miserably.  LOL

I bet if you start making them mop the floors they will. LOL ! :) Good luck !

CafeMom Tickers
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Quoting lovegrace222:

No but when we remodle/add on we will! We do have a basket by the front door or dh takes his off and takes them to laundry room because my dd loves shoes and will dig in the basket and put on whatever shoes she finds!

Thats really cute. :)

CafeMom Tickers
DelilahsMom4108
by Jeni on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM
I actually have a mudroom in my new place....I still need to get a boot bench or something though
powow65
by kimmy on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM

kinda yes, but not really. (we have a shelf where we put all the shoe's/boots.)

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM

We dont.Things just go where ever.

KristinRox
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:48 PM

We have a porch area that you have to go into before you enter the house. Luckily our yard doesnt have a lot of mud. Our driveway has stone in it, and the grass doesnt produce any amount of mud, so its pretty simple. 

Jerichos_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Nothing like that just clean as wego

OliviaW.
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM

We no don't have a mudroom. We take our shoes off at the door (whichever one we come in at) or take them off on the covered porch. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: